VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd - Va Does Not Recognize Private Diagnosis

Rate this question

Apple

Question

I was Diagnosed with severe PTSD with panic disorder, social/work impairment and personality disorder one year ago by a private psychologist. <br style="mso-special-character:line-break"> <br style="mso-special-character:line-break">

I have been unable to work since that time due to PTSD and other medical conditions. Although I have been suffering with the symptoms of PTSD, for a long time, and out of the service since 1999, I have just recently filed a claim with the VA for my PTSD.

I had my C&P examfor PTSD in March. It went as such:

I was greeted with a typical 'how are you' when meeting the examiner. Then, the examiner said that he thought I was an army vet, to which I stated "no, I was Navy". The examiner asked a variety of questions, including "do you have a stressor"? - to which I responded "yes". Note: the examiner never asked me to elaborate on my stressor during this exam. After approximately 110 minutes with the examiner, the exam concluded.

I requested and obtained a copy of the C&P exam by mail a few weeks later. I noted that the answers I gave were not those that the examiner recorded, but were mostly the opposite to the answers I gave during the exam. The C&P examiner's results stated that I do not have PTSD because I do not meet the DSM IV criteria for a PTSD diagnosis. However, my daily condition supports nearly all the affects and symptoms of PTSD, and my private psychologist confirms this in his diagnosis.

Although I was not involved in direct gunfire, I am a combat vet, and have several stressors that were considered life threatening.

My questions:

1) Will not having a diagnosis of PTSD by the C&P examiner stop my claim for PTSD regardless of the supporting evidence?

2) Seeing that I was given a C&P exam for PTSD, does that mean that my stressor was accepted?

3) Does branch of service stressor play a role in whether one is diagnosed for PTSD by the VA? If so, how?

4) Is it possible to get another C&P exam for PTSD before my claim moves to the next stage?

This C&P exam has me believing that the examiner failed to look at private medical records, and made everything up. I sure don't want a denial based upon a bogus C&P exam.

Thoughts..

Apples

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Papa, all of my little boy's teachers and classmates know my name- "PapaJim". If you were to ask any of them what my given name is, they wouldn't know. However, I agree with not putting it on the net!!!!

Take care friend!