VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Diabetes Type Ii

Rate this question

Question

I have Diabetes Type II. While on active duty, 78-92, I did get sent to Walter Reed for some type of test and was found to have nephritis (sp). That doctor kept asking if I had diabetes in my family, which I did not. Again, while pregnant, I was asked the same thing. That doctor told me I probably had the beginnings of diabetes; however, don't tell anyone and to exercise and lay off the starch.

I got off active duty in 92 and went into the reserves. In 2004, I had an army physical and was found to have diabetes. I went through a medical board and was found fit to stay in the program. The diabetes got worse, and in 2010, I was issued a profile which stated the diabetes, plus no field rations. I was also informed that I was not qualified to serve anymore, so I retired.

My question is, can I file a claim as the condition worsened over the years, or should I just leave it alone?

thanks,

• HadIt.com Elder

From what you have stated you have a good claim. When did you separate?

I have Diabetes Type II. While on active duty, 78-92, I did get sent to Walter Reed for some type of test and was found to have nephritis (sp). That doctor kept asking if I had diabetes in my family, which I did not. Again, while pregnant, I was asked the same thing. That doctor told me I probably had the beginnings of diabetes; however, don't tell anyone and to exercise and lay off the starch.

I got off active duty in 92 and went into the reserves. In 2004, I had an army physical and was found to have diabetes. I went through a medical board and was found fit to stay in the program. The diabetes got worse, and in 2010, I was issued a profile which stated the diabetes, plus no field rations. I was also informed that I was not qualified to serve anymore, so I retired.

My question is, can I file a claim as the condition worsened over the years, or should I just leave it alone?

thanks,

I retired in 2009 and found out I had diabetes in 2008. I got 20% for diabetes and 10% per limb for diabetic neuropothy. They will just take a blood sample and verify your A1C at the C&P or at least thats all they did with mine plus my records while on active duty.

I separated from active duty in 1992 and finished my time in the reserves; however, there is no documentation in my military medical records that I had diabetes. It just got progressively worse over the years.

I would like to think you would be comp for DMII, but I thought it had to be tied to AO. I hope the other Hadit brain's can answer that!

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA would like a veteran to think that! Any condition or disease that originated and occurred during military service (Other than from "misconduct") meets one of the basic requirements for compensation eligibility. Naturally, if the VA can show offsetting facts, or other countering evidence, such as heredity, they will attempt to do so.

A/O exposure related confers a "presumptive" status for mainly Vietnam veteran's. All this really does is force the VA to abide by the Nehmer court ruling, and makes it much harder (in theory) for the VA to try it's other "tricks" used to deny or minimize claims.

I'm still frosted by the government's ignoring probable Dioxin exposure at places such as Treasure Island Navy Base. Treasure Island was a (now closed) base used to outfit and provide training to thousands of sailors assigned to the Far East, including "blue" and "brown" water sailors. A common facet of this training was Fire Fighting.

The fuels used for the fires and smoke resulted in Dioxin contamination of the fire fighting school. (EPA fund site) As a result, a very large number of 7th Fleet sailors were exposed to Dioxin before they were sent overseas to various duty stations and ships.

I would like to think you would be comp for DMII, but I thought it had to be tied to AO. I hope the other Hadit brain's can answer that!

Edited by Chuck75