VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Having A Pacemaker Put In

Rate this question

Testvet

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Since I am already rated 100% PTSD P&T then after the BVA granted my CAD and hypertension claim the VARO granted 60% and 10% and in the award letter stated I was housebound and given SMC S rating effective back to Dec 2003 for which I am happy with now due to the CHF and the worsening of my CAD they are going to install a high tec pacemaker and defib as my ejection fraction is down to 10%

it is my understanding that with the implant that I should be rated 100% due to the pacemaker is that in addition to the CAD or will they raise the CAD to 100% and what effect if any will it have on my SMC rating?

This is a new stage for me

I was having trouble breathing Friday might my wife took me to the ER and it is the first time I actually remember being there the past 2 times I was out of my head and did not remember anything about the ER experiences or the people who worked on me I was really happy to go out the door the same night, it was just a light build up of fluid on my lungs and the docs said I did right in doubling my lasix but he added an IV dose of lasix before I left I am trying to learn to maintain this so I dodn't end up in the hospital every other month for 3 weeks at a time as close as we can figure the VA has paid in excess of 100,000 for April and June they say this implant will run about 60,000 not counting surgical fees but hell I think I am worth it

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

JBasser I know this is going to sounds ignorant but is that a seperate rating from my CAD which is now 60% but which should be 100% due to the ejection fraction or is this like mental health issues pyramiding? Because I fit the 100% rating on 7005, 7006 and 7011 and of course my 100% PTSD lol and lets not forget the 10% hypertension although with my meds now they have my BP in the 74/57 range and the cardiac docs seem to be happy with it frankly it scares me being that low.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your new rating should be

100 Heart disease.

100 PTSD

10 percent HTN.

with an EF that low I can see A&A.

Basser

• HadIt.com Elder

thsnks for helping me to understand I think my primary care doc will support the aid and attendence and we want to see if he will put in the treatment records that I have basically lost the use of my legs as I no longer can walk more than 25 feet without becoming short of breath and am spending most my time in a wheel chair (power chair) now I have a power lift to get me in and out of the tub now they added a new 20 foot ramp for the power chair to the front door next week they deliver the fancy new "hospital bed" i fight with ILP for years I get diagnosed with end stage heart failure and they fall all over themselves getting me what ever my wife wants to care for me go figure

FWIW, both Aid and Attendance and Loss of Use (of the lower extremities) are SMC-l, however you can receive only one payment of SMC-l (if you manage to qualify for both). Yes, I know that LOU does entail additional benefits.

Of some consideration is (4) Additional independent 100 percent ratings. at 38 CFR 3.350(f)(4) http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKB/PART3/S3_350.DOC . If you qualify factually for A&A because of the heart problem/AICD, that additional 100% for PTSD should pop you up another SMC level.

thsnks for helping me to understand I think my primary care doc will support the aid and attendence and we want to see if he will put in the treatment records that I have basically lost the use of my legs as I no longer can walk more than 25 feet without becoming short of breath and am spending most my time in a wheel chair (power chair) now I have a power lift to get me in and out of the tub now they added a new 20 foot ramp for the power chair to the front door next week they deliver the fancy new "hospital bed" i fight with ILP for years I get diagnosed with end stage heart failure and they fall all over themselves getting me what ever my wife wants to care for me go figure

An implanted ACID or defibrulator is an automatic 100 percent rating regardless of the ejection fraction.

J

Does anyone know if this is correct? I have a implanted ACID, SC and still on active duty.