VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Glaucoma

Rate this question

army26

Question

I was diagnosted with Glaucoma this week and the Doc. put me on medication and from what I read that there is no cure for this disease. I would like to know if anyone knows if there is any other disease or health issues that may be secondary to Glaucoma? I got out of the Military in 2004 with a 20/50 vision in my health records do you think this would be a service connected disability?:unsure:

Edited by army26

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome to Hadit. Most of the time glaucoma can be treated with the eye drops. The main thing is to keep normal pressure. They also have laser treatment and surgery. Be sure and use your medication.

I put in for the claim for Glaucoma and while waiting for 100% Unemployability decision from the rating board. The Doc told me it is my optic nerves that is causing my Glaucoma that they have been monitering for almost a year. I am quiet sure they will send me for a C& P exam.

It seems like I recall reading that glaucoma can be secondary to diabetes. Are you diabetic? By the way, welcome to hadit.

Thanks guy's for all the information.

I didn't really want t open t anew thread for this, I thought adding to this thread would be better..

I already searched the Internet and talked to doctors, but I wanted to know from others with glaucoma, what to expect in the coming years..

for those that know me, I have pancreas disease, at one time I received insulin for about 6 months while an inpatient for the pancreas disease.. but they never told me I am a diabetic. I expect I wil become one when my pancreas get a little worse, which isn't far away. I already had cataracts all my life, but they just grew a few years ago, and have the right one rmeoved, the left one is stil there, but then they said I also have glaucoma in my left eye, plus the cataracts. i take eye drops each night in my left eye for glaucoma. They game me some number, I think it is 24 (pressure, and it should be 20 or lower if I remember right..). MY left eye has bee feeling out of sorts and it feels like it is has problems, not only by eyesight, but just feeling different than the right.. like it takes in less light, besides a little blurry (especially objects that are many feet way like signs.)... I am not blind by any means, but bright lights are really bothersome, and trying to read stuff on lables, pages, documents on paper is really a pain,, hard to do, I bring out a magnifying glass. And trying ot read small food labels is very hard to do without magnifying. I went off on a tangent here, sorry..

What I really want to know is does it continue to worsen? Does it happen fast, slow, or is it different for everyone. Does it just not get any worse with meds? I would like to hear from people who have it, have had it only a short time, or a long time, etc... Did it continue to get worse with meds? Any tips?

I have to many claims in and will consider puttingin a claim on in for service conenction because of my chemicals exposures after my other claims have gone through appeals.. like they are connected to chemicals, pancreas diease, and neuro diseases..

thank you,

I was diagnosted with Glaucoma this week and the Doc. put me on medication and from what I read that there is no cure for this disease. I would like to know if anyone knows if there is any other disease or health issues that may be secondary to Glaucoma? I got out of the Military in 2004 with a 20/50 vision in my health records do you think this would be a service connected disability?unsure.gif

Edited by retiredat44

I was service connected for Glaucoma in 2008. I had a cataract removed from the left eye and was left with pigmentary glaucoma, intermitten loss of all vision, night halo's and double vision.

The glaucoma can only be treated with drops, you can in fact go blind because of glaucoma. As to the progression of the disease it depends on the person.

In my case doctors wanted to do surgery at least twice since the original surgery.. but I decided that I would rather have sight off and on than not at all.....

The max rating for the lens replacement is 30%,, also even if your blind in one eye, the vision of the other eye is what determines your actual rating.

I have read where Pot helps prevent this

GARY

It doesn't actually prevent it, it just help to lower the pressure .