VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pending Charges

Rate this question

hey

Question

My friend is applying to VR&E and she has an appointment coming up in the near future. She is currently pending charges. Can somebody tell me if she will be disqualified for VR&E if she is pending charges? If there are certain charges that disqualify you can you please list them. Thanks. I am just concerned for her and I know this isn't your typical question. Thanks

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Also, I'm not positive but I believe different States vary with their DUI laws as far as what is considered a felony. Sometimes I wonder spitting on the sidewalk would be a felony here in Az. ha. Obviously Extreme DUI's and Wreckless Endangerment are felony's here.

Yea I know what you mean. Sometimes good things happen to good people but it makes us stronger in the end. She's not in danger of losing her benefits. The most, if convicted, will be 3 days. I just hope she didn't ruin chances of getting other benefits. People make mistakes so maybe she will be able to get approved. We shall see. She is very remorseful and wish she would have been smarter then she has been. I believe she has finally snapped out of her cycle. The 2nd one made a change in her and I can see it. We will see. Thanks for all of your guys inputs.

I wish the best for her!!!

Ok so my friend went to the VR&E meeting today. She was straight forward with the counselor and told that person everything she was going through. According to my friend, the lady was going to deny her at first, but my friend had went through Rehab for alcohol recently for the citations she received. That was the sticking point for her case. In a good way that is, the case manager had changed her persona. So with that said Im going to say this, my friend is going through alot right now, I'm happy she was approved through the case manager. The case manager actually found the DWI's to be an impairment in this case, but that wasn't enough to convince her to receive VR&E program; however it was enough to continue moving forward. The sticker was 20% for DDD, herniated discs, and back pain. That is her ailment that prevents her from seeking work. She needs to write out a plan and get the case worker to approve it; then, it will be set in stone-so to speak.

Just on a side note, if it would had went the other way, if she was denied I don't believe the VA has the right to deny people because of DWI's and other misdeameanors. Serious felonies is another monster...IE Murder... Anyway it is a Veteran's benefits. Like it or not, If anybody gets denied for misdemeanors I would fight it tooth and nail. Up front they will say no, but in the end after appeals and so on and so forth I still think she would have been approved. But it's never what we think when it comes down to it. I'm just saying what I recommended to her had it went the other route. Thank God it didn't. She already has too much on her shoulders. The counselor took a big relief off of her shoulders. To that counselor, who I will keep nameless, but thank you very much. She was smiling when she got back. She said just be up front and honest with the VA counselor. Don't try to bullshit them. My personal message is the VA, I think, is trained to look at body language to see if a person is serious or not. VR&E is one of those rare programs that you meet face to face with somebody.I would be willing to bet that they use body language as a determining factor. (i.E. slouching in a chair sends a message you don't care and sit straight up and taking notes would show that you do care) Just my tit bit! I told my friend to view it as an interview and she needs to produce evidence to back up her claim, which is why she took her Rehabilitation form for the alcohol and it turned out to be the overall major deciding point in continuing to the next step. I honestly believe, based off of what she told me, if she didn't bring that form she wouldn't have been approved. Treat it like court and prove your point beyond a reasonable doubt. Pretty much what I told her hope it helps some other vet out there too.

Edited by hey

It pay's to be honest! This should boost her ego up a bit. Great news hey!

Yes it pays to be honest, so why are you a Patriots fan? I just had to go there. Ignore me; just giving you a hard time is all...LOL

Edited by hey

• HadIt.com Elder

Your friend should get into AA and get psychiatric couseling at the VA. I bet she suffers from depression due to chronic pain. She should see about getting some kind of DX from the VA. If she gets into AA that will help with court as well. Multiple DWI's can turn into felony charges. Then there is the factor of her hurting someone while driving drunk. That is a felony. Alcoholism is a disease. The VA is good at drying people out, but there must be follow-up to stay sober.