VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A&a

Rate this topic

Pete,

even if you are not a GWOT Veteran, or if you are, you should have a discussion with your son about the Caregiver program.

It may seem embarrassing but if you need help, you need help. If you are GWOT there is of course a monthly stipend and medical care and all that jazz. But even if you are not, they can still approve him to be a caregiver and there are benefits to the program you both would have.

With your son being the one talking with your Nurse at the VA, he can ask for adaptions and equipment, like temperature control in different rooms, and other medical equipment, blood pressure cuff, and so on. As sson as my wife completes her in home training we are going to find about AC control in my room. I get really bad sweats, even when the house is less than 64 degrees.

I am pretty confident next year they are going to allow more Veterans and their caregivers into the GWOT program they have now, so getting qualified and trained ahead of time might save some later aggravation, and could be very beneficial for you both.

Good luck

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I just learned that if Doc writes a letter that says temperpedic bed would be useful a new bed is approved and money already set aside.

Still waiting for something on the application for higher A&A made in July but I am a patient man.

Thanks to all this thread has been a help to me.

Pete,

I sure can't see that the application for A&A would cause any difficulties in YOUR given

situation. Heck - VA has been providing caregivers for 3 1/2 years now.

One of my questions is - when the A&A gets approved - will VA stop providing these caregivers ?

Pete,

I sure can't see that the application for A&A would cause any difficulties in YOUR given

situation. Heck - VA has been providing caregivers for 3 1/2 years now.

One of my questions is - when the A&A gets approved - will VA stop providing these caregivers ?

that is a good question carlie. i could see it happening. but i will mention that i got my nurses aide (at va expense) partially because of my a&a on my pension and partly because my sc disability had reached 40% at that time.

• HadIt.com Elder

If a vet is HB should they not get Fee Base as well? If the VA takes their ratings seriously then a HB or A&A vet should be getting maximum home care. Also, no driving 50-100 miles to some VAMC. The vet should be able to get care at closest point. This is my logic,but knowing the VA they disagree.