VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Education Assistance

Rate this question

DeeDee

Question

Hi guys,

I have a question about education assistance. I am 50% disabled. I have a job where I sit all day long and it is very difficult. I have a 2 year degree in education. Will the VA help pay for me to return to school and get a teaching degree? I believe I will be better able to work if I wasn't tied to this desk all the time. Thanks

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Dee

That is a very good posibility, call the RO and speak to a vocational rehab person to get an appointment set up, they will pay for everthing , right down to the pencils you need, and they will pay you a monthly amount until you finish.

I am not sure what it is now , it was in the 80s when I used it. Just dont take no for an answer, as sometimes they are a little stubborn.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes they will help and all you need to show is that your disability is causing you not to be able to work. They will give you a lot of tests and I would expect that at 50% you should not have to much of a problem qualifying for Voc Rehab.

Don't forget if they say that they cannot help they have other programs that may benefit you called Independent Living.

Yes they will help and all you need to show is that your disability is causing you not to be able to work. They will give you a lot of tests and I would expect that at 50% you should not have to much of a problem qualifying for Voc Rehab.

Don't forget if they say that they cannot help they have other programs that may benefit you called Independent Living.

If you cannot make the VA bleed then you may be able to get state assistance under their Vet programs

Railroader

Guest rickb54

DEE DEE

Pete said,

"Don't forget if they say that they cannot help they have other programs that may benefit you called Independent Living."Pete is correct!

I hope you have a better time of getting an approved program. I requested my program in Feb 2005. In Nov 2005, I moved from Texas to Georgia and I was still waiting for an approved Independant living program.

In Dec of 2005 I notified Atlanta Georgia regional office that I was still waiting to start a program. I was finally seen at the Augusta Georgia vocational rehabilitation office(in the VA Hospital) in February, and since then I have talked to two va counselors, and attended their so-called vocational rehabilitation initial briefing. In addition I have had too deal with two different contractors to determine what I needed and what could be done. Here it is July and I still have no answers, but just a week ago I was informed that another contractor was writing up my independant living plan... I think this time the VA has taken much to much time to make the determination as to what I need and what they will do.

I do know that in February, vocational rehabilitation gave a special push on veterans who want to become teachers, in fact in Georgia, Vets actually get higher pay when they start as a teacher, as opposed to someone who has not served in the military.

Just for future reference, This will be my third crack at vocational rehabilation. I attended college in 1988 for about six months, but quit to return to work because I could not support my family on what the va was giving me. In 2002, I had one period of an independant living program, where the va paid for three basic computer classes, and an "E" computer with monitor, and a cheap printer. In 2004 I was awarded additional disability and was informed I may be able to get another program. So If someone says you can only get vocational rehabilitation once that may not be true. Everytime you are awarded a new disability you may be also be abel to get a new program of rehabilitation....

sorry for the long post... and best of luck to you

Edited by rickb54