• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Big Mac

Herinated Disc’S

Please bear with me I'm new to this site; I just retired from the Air Force after 26 years on 31 Dec 2010. I'll get straight to the point. I've had two back surgeries while on active duty for L-5-S1 decompressive laminectomics & microdiscectomy at Bethesda Medical Center, Bethesda Maryland. (Dec 2001) & L5-S1 redo discectomy Nov 2010. My C&P exams were conducted Aug & Sept 2010.

During physical therapy Feb 2011, I experienced shooting pains from my lower back & buttocks down my left & right legs. 02 Mar 2011, I was treated in the emergency room for chronic back pains & given Percocet's. 19 Mar 2011, I had an MRI, & the results were forward to my Neurosurgeon. 21 Mar 2011, treated for lower back pain in the emergency room & given Neurontin.

07 April 2011, I received my MRI results from my Neurosurgeon, recurrent left L5-S1 discprotrusion, central broad-based L5-S1 disc protrusion, L5-S1 lateral recessstenosis, right L5-S1 neural foraminal disc protrusion with questionable involvement of the right L5 nerve root. There is also a right L4-5 neuralforaminal disc protrusion with questionable involvement of the right L4 nerveroot. There is also left L4-5 neural foraminal and proximal far-lateral discprotrusion with involvement of the ventral aspect of the left L4 nerve root.There is also a left L5-S1 neural foraminal disc bulge/protrusion.

07 June 2011, I received the yellow envelope from the VA 80% disability

50% Sleep Apnea,

20% IVDS degenerative arthritis changes, thoracolumbar spine, lower back, status postsurgery

10% Patellofemoral syndrome, left knee condition with osteoarthritis

10% Residuals right ankle fracture with brace, inserts, degeneration and torn ligaments

10%Tinnitus

10% Bowel dysfunction associated with IVDS with degenerative arthritis changes,thoracolumbar spine

Statement also attached from the VA: We have reviewed your records and they suggest you may be entitled to additional benefits. We first need a claim from you or your representative. Please tell us on the enclosed Statement In Support of Claim (VA Form 21-4138) that you want to file a claim for degenerative changes of the left hip and DJD, right knee and bilateral pes planus, plantarfasciitis and hallux valgus.

09 Jun 2011, I filed a VA Form 21-4138, for reconsideration of rating decision of thoracolumbar IVDS and TMJ, status post surgical repair (claimed as dental surgery x 2/hardware and Individual Unemployability. Per the DAV, I'm also entitled to service connection for DJD left hip, DJD right knee, B/L plantar fasciitis,B/L pes planus and B/L hallux valgus.

21 &23 June 2011, back in emergency room & treated for Lumbar disc herniation with radiculopathy, stenosis of lumbosacral spine & osteoarthritis of the knees. 12 Jul 2011, myelogram & CT scan show 3 herinated disc's with bone spurs. My next appointment with my Neurosurgeon is schedule for 3 Aug 2011& Orthopedic surgeon appointment 10 Aug 2011.

According to E-benefits the claim dated 09 Jun 2011 closed as of 12 Jul 2011, but I haven't received anything in the mail yet? I've called 1-800-827-1000 twice day and keep getting the same message (please call back @ a later time) what's my next move?

Edited by Big Mac

As soon as you hang up dial again, and again. Every time I get that message I'll try again as soon as I hang up and always get thru. It may take 1 to 4 times.

After any rating decision has been made granting benefits, that ain't the end of the administrative trail. A "normal" veteran's claims file makes stops at a coupla desks and there always are a few (or most times more than a few) computer keystrokes before anything goes into the mail. Additionally, in our cases as retired military, an additional administrative step with DFAS is necessary to coordinate and re-compute any concurrent receipt.

FWIW, my edumcated guess is that a great deal additional was granted.

Your next move should be to just sit tight. In the great scheme of things, not hearing what you want to hear for only two weeks ain't too bad. Note: Sometimes, a payment or increased compensation will arrive before the Rating Decision; check eBenefits in the payments section to see if that's going to happen.

Besides, your's isn't the only veteran's claim sitting in some pile at the VARO, or moving from pile to pile. Processing claims is somewhat like eating an elephant .... it is an enormous undertaking, but it can be done if you eat the elephant one teaspoon at a time. tongue.gif

(snip)

According to E-benefits the claim dated 09 Jun 2011 closed as of 12 Jul 2011, but I haven't received anything in the mail yet? I've called 1-800-827-1000 twice day and keep getting the same message (please call back @ a later time) what's my next move?

If your TDIU gets granted then the rest you can worry about in your spare time. Just hang in there and try to take care of your health while you wait for the process to finish. You may be in appeals for a while, but if you can't work due to your SC conditions you should be getting the TDIU which is paid at 100% level.

After any rating decision has been made granting benefits, that ain't the end of the administrative trail. A "normal" veteran's claims file makes stops at a coupla desks and there always are a few (or most times more than a few) computer keystrokes before anything goes into the mail. Additionally, in our cases as retired military, an additional administrative step with DFAS is necessary to coordinate and re-compute any concurrent receipt.

FWIW, my edumcated guess is that a great deal additional was granted.

Your next move should be to just sit tight. In the great scheme of things, not hearing what you want to hear for only two weeks ain't too bad. Note: Sometimes, a payment or increased compensation will arrive before the Rating Decision; check eBenefits in the payments section to see if that's going to happen.

Besides, your's isn't the only veteran's claim sitting in some pile at the VARO, or moving from pile to pile. Processing claims is somewhat like eating an elephant .... it is an enormous undertaking, but it can be done if you eat the elephant one teaspoon at a time. tongue.gif