VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Type 2 Diabetes Does To Your Body

Rate this topic

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very informative. My husband's diabetes is out of control right now. Was using oral medicince but the doctor said that he will probably have to go on insulin. One good thing is he has lost 26 pounds.

Very informative. My husband's diabetes is out of control right now.

Was using oral medicince but the doctor said that he will probably have to go on insulin.

One good thing is he has lost 26 pounds.

sharon,

Sounds good - keep those chips away from him : -)

My experience with controling type ll diabetes is, my doctor did not give me all the inforimation on how to do it. I have been a type ll diabetic since 1986 and treated it with diet and excrise, then pills and finaley with insulin and a needle which I hated. All of these methods worked to some extent but i couldn't always get the control I wanted. If you take insulin you have to be careful, to much can put you in a diabetic coma. I have been there a few times. To little and it won,t do the job. My doctor recommeded I on the insulin pump in Jan 2011 and its the best investmen I ever made. The pump takes care of all the calculations and tells you how much insulin to take for the carbs you have eaten to get your blood sugar down to a number which is programed into the pump. The pump is so accurate I can tell you within 5 numbers what my blood sugar will be 3 hours after I eat. Keep up with the carbs and the pump will do the rest. All the information is programed into the pump by a doctor using the patient past med ical records and can be fined tuned. There are several different companys that manufactor these pumps. Lok on the internet for insulin pumps. My pump is an ANIMUS and if you wish to get more info you can call them at 1-877-937-7867 and they will answer all of you questions. They are available 24/7. I don't know if the VA will supply the pump but they will furnish all the supplies and asign a diabetes doctor and a dietician to monitor the patients progress and adjust the pump if necessary. The American diabetes association is also a good place to get information. The pump has changed my life, I feel better and I don't have to worry about low blood sugar as much anymore and my last A1C was 5,9, The pump works for me.

• HadIt.com Elder

Heads up for all who have diabetes. As you gain control and lower your sugar to normal level the more difficult it is to loose weight and if you don't cut back on calories you will in fact gain weight. The simple fact is when your body is trying to lower sugar you urinate frequently and up to 1000 to 2000 calories a day.

'

My experience has been that the friendly people who are encouraging you to control sugar rarely if ever tell you this particular side effect.

If you don't control the sugar bad things happen.