VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medication Availability

Rate this topic

I have had colon surgery and part of colon my removed. As a result I now have chronic diarrhea, all service connected. The VA has tried everything, including extended release morphine. I have been told Paragoric or Tincture of Opium will probably be helpful, however are hard to find as they are not supposedly being produced. VA doesn't have any, but gave me a prescription to get it outside VA if I can find it. I did find Tincture of Opium at $800.00 a pint. However Paragoric is cheaper and since I don't have private prescription insurance, I'll have to pay out of pocket. I'd rather pay for the cheaper Parargoric. After 3 colon surgeries, I'm at wits end with the ongoing diarrhea and it has affected my quality of life. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had colon surgery and part of colon my removed. As a result I now have chronic diarrhea, all service connected. The VA has tried everything, including extended release morphine. I have been told Paragoric or Tincture of Opium will probably be helpful, however are hard to find as they are not supposedly being produced. VA doesn't have any, but gave me a prescription to get it outside VA if I can find it. I did find Tincture of Opium at $800.00 a pint. However Paragoric is cheaper and since I don't have private prescription insurance, I'll have to pay out of pocket. I'd rather pay for the cheaper Parargoric. After 3 colon surgeries, I'm at wits end with the ongoing diarrhea and it has affected my quality of life. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

JON,

I think the Paragoric would be good for you.

I remember the days when you could walk into any pharmacy and just sign for it

without an RX even needed.

The hard core druggies screwed that up.

Those were - some of the good old days - lol.

Hope you feel better soon.

• HadIt.com Elder

If extended release morphine does not turn your colon into concrete I think something with pure opium might. I took it for pain and had to stop because of constipation. It tore me up. What dose did you take? Did you ever try methadone? It is cheap.

I've tried Methadone, Questran powder(Cholestyramine), Atropine, Oxycodone, Immodium, even bananas. Since I can't find peragoric, the VA is going to try Codiene tablets 30mg 1-4 times a day. Anyone had any luck with that?

I've tried Methadone, Questran powder(Cholestyramine), Atropine, Oxycodone, Immodium, even bananas. Since I can't find peragoric, the VA is going to try Codiene tablets 30mg 1-4 times a day. Anyone had any luck with that?

Constipation is a side effect of Codeine so it is worth a try. It is the only pain RX my wife can tolerate so she is well aware of this side effect. I hope this gives you some relief.

Jon, have you tried Lomotil? I know you mentioned atropine. My uncle gave me some Lomotil on a business trip to Southeast Asia, it worked great for me. Almost to well.