VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Primary Care Doc States A&a Needed

Rate this topic

After the Caretaker denial I scheduled an exam with my new, (5th in 2 years) VA PCP. He is actually a NP but whatever. Anyway I began asking asking about his communication with the Caretaker rep. and as some of you know, because I posted it somewhere else, he said he never spoke with them, sent them an email, or even commented on whether or not I needed a Caretaker. He actually showed me the email he got from the social worker who stated in her email I was not qualified because I was not bedridden?

Anyway, I had found an A&A form that just says Form 10, and asks questions about the Veterans daily living activities and if they needed assistance or not. I gave him a blank one and asked him to please fill it out based on my current medical condition. During the visit he seemed to make comments about getting me back in the work force?? I guess he has never looked at my file, or at least hadn't until after we spoke. So a few days ago I still hadn't received it, so I called and asked the nurse to request he send me a copy or fill it out and mail it.

I got it in the mail Friday afternoon and was very surprised, he stated correctly that I did need assistance with dressing, medication refills, transferring, and that I was essentially housebound. I sent this form into the VARO. Anyone think SMC will fly with this docs letter? Or will they more likely than not schedule a C&P as well??

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

"will they more likely than not schedule a C&P as well??"

A potential problem is that the PCP is an NP. It would be better to have had a doctor sign the form.

That aside, if you can get a copy of the email from the social worker showing the "have to be bedridden" do so. (That's the "old" VA thinking.)

There may be enough evidence to obtain an earlier date for A&A payments.

A treating doctor's opinion can be useful as well. The NP has a supervising doctor that might be willing to write something useful.

The last C&P I was given was by an NP, not a doctor.

I assume this was the form?

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-2680-ARE.pdf

"I got it in the mail Friday afternoon and was very surprised, he stated correctly that I did need assistance with dressing, medication refills, transferring, and that I was essentially housebound"

There is some A & A discussions here under a search.

I asked for A & A determination for my AO IHD claim regarding my deceased husband.

I was not familiar with the A & A criteria at all but after reading the A & A regs I saw that I could state why he was eligible and then directly refer to his med recs and other documents (he was in VA day treatment and went there by VA van as his mobility and sight was impaired and he could no longer drive.)

In some respects he could do things for himself which I told VA of but a vet does not have to fulfill the entire A & A criteria to get A & A.

I have no idea if the VA will even grant this part of the AO claim I have pending.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am pretty sure that you will have a C&P hopefully from a Doc who understands what is expected.

Good Luck

The VA estimates that only 4% of Veterans that should have A&A have it.

It was not, but a form very similar to that. I am not even sure where I found it, but I initially printed it out to just give to him and fill out so I could send it to the Caretaker rep, but when I went there I figured I might as well get one for the VARO as well. My Private doc also wrote a short letter stating very clearly that I needed assistance with several daily living activities and the VARO has that too. I would hope after 3 letters from 3 different doctors stating I need assistance, they could forego the C&P exam. My last couple of exams have not been very well performed, in fact the examiners were pretty dishonest, and were conflicting in their own reports.

It was not, but a form very similar to that. I am not even sure where I found it, but I initially printed it out to just give to him and fill out so I could send it to the Caretaker rep, but when I went there I figured I might as well get one for the VARO as well. My Private doc also wrote a short letter stating very clearly that I needed assistance with several daily living activities and the VARO has that too. I would hope after 3 letters from 3 different doctors stating I need assistance, they could forego the C&P exam. My last couple of exams have not been very well performed, in fact the examiners were pretty dishonest, and were conflicting in their own reports.

In 2007, I took a self generated letter to my Primary care doctor requesting A&A. He had me take my letter to the secetrary and xerox it on VA letter head, and then he signed the letter. In addition he filled out the application for A&A. I did not have a C/P. Initally I was awarded housebound, but on appeal I won A&A at L 1/2... so it is very possible even likely that you will not need a C/P exam...

Good luck!