VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Submit An Additonal Claim Now Or Wait?

Rate this question

cg1979

Question

Two years ago I submitted a claim for for a meniscal tear in my right knee that occurred while I was in service. A VA rep helped me fill out my claim and it was denied, I believe he gave me poor advice and assistance. I then filed a appeal on my own and was able to find proof, in military and VA medical records, that contradicted ever single one of the reasons that the VA listed for denying my claim. I am still waiting to hear what the decision of the appeal will be, but I imagine that it would be successful since I used government records to contradict the denial. I have other problems that I would like to claim as well and I want to know if I should claim them immediately or wait until they reach a decision from the initial claim. My other claims are as follows:

1. My left knee has been consistently been getting more painful (I believe it is due to the fact that my left knee is compensating for the injury in the right knee and may now be injured from over use).
  2. I was/am having trouble sleeping, the VA ran blood tests on me and discovered my thyroid and testosterone levels are low so they prescribed me medication for both at the age of 29 (I was a electronics technician at a communication station for 3.5 years and was exposed to RF radiation and x-ray radiation on a daily basis).
  3. I had a sinuplasty for a deviated septum while in service and the surgery worsened the deviation.
  4. Despite receiving thyroid and testosterone medication I am still having a hard time sleeping, I believe that this may be due to problems with my thyroid/testosterone levels.
  5. My blood pressure was perfect 120/80 when I entered service and part way through my enlistment I started to get elevated readings, the medical staff would always make me sit and rest until my pressure fell to no more 135/90. Ever since then I have had elevated blood pressure.
My medical insurance recently kicked in so I will be making appointments with doctors to get all my problems examined thoroughly and I will attempt to get IMO if the problems are valid claims. My questions are should I submit a claim now or should I wait for the appeal to go through. Second, do my 5 claims sound to have merit? I am not in dire need of money but I would like to have these problems rated in case they worsen in the future to the point where I am unable to work.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

The average appeal is taking 3 to 4 years to be adjudicated. How long has it been since you appealed? For your information, filing new claims will slow the process of your current appeal. Are any of the 5 new issues mentioned in your SMR? Your left knee injury sounds it could be claimable as a secondary condition from your right knee. 2. your insomnia could be related to the meds your taking for your thyroid and testosterone levels. and also could be related to the residuals from the septum surgery as well. 3 HBP sure sounds service related.

Sounds like you have solid claims to work on. Others here will chime in to help you out also.