VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Depression

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hey I have read several claims on the forum and have a couple of questions. I have chronic pain from my back which is service connected I thought my last surgery would have been the sure thing a fix to my issues of my back. Well the fat lady has finnished her song and I am in worse shape than I was before the surgery. I have had my claim at the decison phase for the last three weeks and then on the 1st of August my claim was moved back to the devolpmental phase and I got a letter in that I have another C/P exam less than a week away.

With that stuff out of the way I have been through the VA system for counseling and I get my pain meds from my civillian Surgeon and the stuff is so strong I am unable to drive. Is it a common practice for the VA to go back and ask for a C/P at the last moment? I am probally being paranoid but dealing with the VA can make anyone paranoid.

I had put in a claim for depression as the chronic pain and my inability to do even the simplest task like dressing myself and showering I am not able to do these task has really been degrading I am not that old. At 46 I have the back of an 80 year old my surgeon told my wife. My Daughter age 13 has been my biggest helper with out her I probally would have been in a nursing home by now.

My wife wants to come with me as she is so angry at the VA I did not want her to go off on the C&P examiner. She has to work for the kids insurance and has missed work on account of me being unable to get out of bed and after I have fallen a few times going outside. I have been able to pay a guy to come do some things for me and my family comes by everyday to help me get around and do some light house keeping. The C/P exam is not something I can get ready for it is what it is to coin a phrase. I guess I am just tired but I do not have any thing else to bring with me other than the things I have went through. Thanks for any ideas or thoughts. I did want to add that I am not discouraging anyone from surgery everyone is different but my case is that I need more help daily I was not expecting the way it came out.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

i just got service connected for depression (at 30 percent), secondary to my back condition, currently rated at 40 percent. i had totally forgotten, until reminded by my c&p doctor, that i had been treated for depression in 1983 while still on active duty in the navy.

Edited by iceturkee

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you seeing a psychiatrist for the depression? If you want to really document your pain disorder then use the VA pain clinic. You can pile up mountains of pain documentation. This is what the VA feeds on is paper. I use a VA shrink and the VA pain clinic. I am SC for chronic pain disorder and five or six other mental health conditions but only get compensation for one.

i just got service connected for depression (at 30 percent), secondary to my back condition, currently rated at 40 percent. i had totally forgotten, until reminded by my c&p doctor, that i had been treated for depression in 1983 while still on active duty in the navy.

Hey I appriciate the question I was being treated for depression for about 4 years I am caught in a never ending circle it seems. I have been on everything it seems I dont sleep well even more know with the back waking me up. I wind up walking the floors at night and napping in the afternoon. I wasnot treated for the back injury or depression until years later my back started going south on me and it just keeps getting worse as time goes by.

I am taking the bull by the horns this fall I am leaving the south for the winter and headed west. Knowing my luck the weather will flip and I will have white outs in the gulf of Mexico this winter. Now my knees are giving me fits I went today and tore out the walker from the closet. I wish you well it sounds like you have been through a lot yourself. I tok an old vets advice at the VA hospital. He said life is too short when it got too cold for him he headed west and came back in spring I am going to try that this year, See how it goes. I got one more C/P this next week then I am letting the VA know where to forward my mail. Adios

Are you seeing a psychiatrist for the depression? If you want to really document your pain disorder then use the VA pain clinic. You can pile up mountains of pain documentation. This is what the VA feeds on is paper. I use a VA shrink and the VA pain clinic. I am SC for chronic pain disorder and five or six other mental health conditions but only get compensation for one.

Thanks I am seeing the VA mental health Doc for my epression and my civilian Doc for my pain. I had all I could stand with the VA and their treatment of pain. I know there are some good docs out there I just have not seen them. My Civillian Surgeon wrote in 2 letters I suffer from chronic pain and I was treated with Opiates to treat the pain. I take so much crap now I do not drive a buddy of mine got a DUI last year for being in a wreck, Medicine will cause you to have a delayed effect. Adios and have a good day

Hey I appriciate the question I was being treated for depression for about 4 years I am caught in a never ending circle it seems. I have been on everything it seems I dont sleep well even more know with the back waking me up. I wind up walking the floors at night and napping in the afternoon. I wasnot treated for the back injury or depression until years later my back started going south on me and it just keeps getting worse as time goes by.

I am taking the bull by the horns this fall I am leaving the south for the winter and headed west. Knowing my luck the weather will flip and I will have white outs in the gulf of Mexico this winter. Now my knees are giving me fits I went today and tore out the walker from the closet. I wish you well it sounds like you have been through a lot yourself. I tok an old vets advice at the VA hospital. He said life is too short when it got too cold for him he headed west and came back in spring I am going to try that this year, See how it goes. I got one more C/P this next week then I am letting the VA know where to forward my mail. Adios

good luck. i have to keep a nite light and the tv on all night to sleep. otherwise i have nightmares and my palms sweat. my back doesn't bother me but then i am on heaving duty pain pills too.

good luck. i have to keep a nite light and the tv on all night to sleep. otherwise i have nightmares and my palms sweat. my back doesn't bother me but then i am on heaving duty pain pills too.

Hey I might be posting this twice but I had my C/P exam yesterday and I had my exam for depression and met with examiner. I was asked the general questions and and was told while in active duty I was told by examiner did I recal being diagnosed with systemic Hypertension I looked it up and but I am stumped how it relates to my depression for what the C/P exam was for. I had hypertension on active duty. I have a realy hard time under stress and on active duty during inspections I would do well but I could always tell my blood pressure would spike and I would have migraines afterwards. I would like to hear any ideas also as my wife was with me but I asked if he needed her after the exam but after the exam he said he had all he needed. I am stumped as to what it had to do with depression/chronic pain maybe hypertension was a key factor I am not sure, Thanks again have a good day