VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions About Dic?

navydoc2

Question

I am trying to find out if my suspicions are correct that my sister in law should be receiving DIC. Her husband was killed in a car accident on his way to the VA. This was 13 years ago. They had been married for 13 years at the time of his death. She received SS for her daughter for 8 years until she turned 18. She then started receiving a widows pension, and was told that she could not receive both SS from her husband and widows pension. Her daughter is 23 now, and applied for benefits where she was awarded chap 35 DEA bennies. Doesn't that mean my SIL should have been receiving DIC from his death? This would really help her out greatly since she is struggling to make ends meet on the widows pension. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

/doc

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for the replies. She received SS for their daughter until she turned 18; she is not old enough for SS for herself she is 48. I am recommending that she hire a lawyer who has VA experience since it is a 13 year old claim potentially, I think a lawyer would take the case. The daughter just received a letter from the VA stating she is eligible for chap 35 beanies. He has another daughter who is 37, would she be eligible for benefits as well?

/doc

There is usually an age 26 cut off for Chapter 35 DEA benefits.

This link explains this program:

http://gibill.va.gov/benefits/other_programs/dea.html