• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

•  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Sign in to follow this  
Susan

New Nehmer Training Guide

Question

http://www.nvlsp.org/images/2011.02.10%20Nehmer%20Training%20Guide.pdf

I was looking at the NVLSP site and found two interesting articles.

Revised February 10, 2011: The VA's Nehmer Training Guide

This guide is 167 pages.

VA’s LIST OF SHIPS PRESUMED EXPOSED TO AGENT ORANGE IN VIETNAM (Updated 6/27/2011)

note it states that this in no way limits ships to those on the list.

http://www.nvlsp.org/images/ShipList6-24-11.pdf

Thanks Susan,

I appreciate you finding this. Looks as if I will be creating ANOTHER REVISED guide for the Training Letter forum. Might be able to compare and just have to revise a little (I hope).

fanaticbooks

Ad

It's sort of a pity that the VA Nehmer "Training Guide" is an "administrative" document.

As a result, even though the VA may have violated it's "thou shalts" in a particular claim or claims, it's hard to hold them accountable.

"Ya flips the coin, and takes Ya chance!" seems to be the result. This has to do with the review of other/implied claims mentioned in the document.

(My feeling only, specifically NOT legal advice!)

I still think its funny that the VA seems to be somewhat confused about "vessels", "boats", and "ships"

The way the list reads, it's possible to be on a ship that is not listed, yet the ship carries "vessels" (boats) that are on the list. (Now what?)

Because of this list and it's earlier versions - -

I go from just "feet on ground" to

Presumptive according to

Feet On Ground

River Rats (Mobile Riverine Force) service

LST service

LSMR service

And, as an added "plus", no less, newer "presumptives" were previously denied, thus Nehmer kicked in.

Naturally, this makes no difference in how the VA decides how likely a given set of conditions associated medically are if they are not directly spelled out

on the presumptive list. A key combination/condition is "Metabolic Disorder", which is suspected and possibly (these days) diagnosed when multiple

conditions on and off the presumptive list are present.

Edited by Chuck75

You are welcome, Fanaticbooks. Sorry for the added typing for you though. Like you said perhaps it will be easier to add and revise bits. I like that it spells out who the survivors are in all the prints. I plan to hold them accountable for that.

As for the ships Chuck, I had seen lists before and did not remember the designations like LST and so forth on those lists. I mainly looked at the names of ships and where they were on the first lists that I looked at before. Wasn't sure, but hoped this list might help others.

That first training guide is what helped me to continue with my claim. The group helping me didn't know what the guide was. The County VSO was new and had no experience with it. He told me that he would work with me, but warned that it would be his first.

Susan

I am slowly proofing this latest guide. I am only up to Page 36 but am finding I will not have to redo the whole nine yards, just some small sections.

To make it easier, I will try to post the differences I have found in here. I will be posting in here in sections as I find them. When completed, I will try to post all the major differences when the document is inserted in the Forum. Minor changes I am not going to post.

Note: I didn't compare the June and September ones, but have just simply used the September for comparison with this February one.

For now, this is what I have found...

Revisions in February 2011 version.

Using Their page numbers….

Page 17-18 under Service in the Republic of Vietnam a newlist of definitions concerning being aboard vessels.

Page 19 - 21 after list ending in VA Form 21-601, newparagraphs to “Examples of Claims”

Page 22 Example3 has been changed

Page 30-31 Rating, Memorandum for the Record--- New Thirdparagraph down to “Some examples where VA may not,….” The Note is gone that was in the former revision.

Page 33-36 Total Disability Based on Individual Unemmployability (TDIU), Newaddition starting with “Extra-schedular NSC Pension Conversion to TotalDisability Ratings Based on Individual Unemployability” and ending at “Claimsfor Service Connection” section

Page 36 Evidence and Evidentiary Basis, new intro, Firstparagraph

More Revisions:

Page 45-46 New Insert—Nehmer Case Review

Page 46 New Insert – Requests for Exclusion from Nehmer

Page 49 Replacement of Appendix 2 with New format/info onVessels and AO claims

Page 60 New 7th & 8th paragraph