• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

•  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Sign in to follow this  
Vync

When Does The Nod Clock Start?

Question

When does the NOD clock start?

Here is the letter a friend received from the VARO:

On the third white cover letter page, the letter says "What you should do if you disagree with our decision. If you do not agree with our decision, you should write and tell us why. You have one year from the date of this letter to appeal the decision. The enclosed VA Form 4107, "Your rights to appeal our decision" , explains your right to appeal.

VA FORM 4107 "Your rights to appeal our decision" (Sep 2009)

How CAN I APPEAL THE DECISION?

How long do I have to start my appeal? You have one year to appeal our decision. Your letter saying that

you disagree with our decision must be postmarked (or received by us) within one year from the date of our

letter denying you the benefit. In most cases, you cannot appeal a decision after this one-year period has ended.

The first page of the stapled packet is dated July 8, 2010:

"What we decided: We determined that the follwing condition was related to your military service, so service connection has been granted."

{insert medical description, percent (%) assigned, and effective date}

"We determined that the following conditions were not related to your military service, so service connection couldn't be granted"

{insert medical description}

A few pages into the packet, the first page of blue VARO "Rating Decision" ruling is dated 11 days earlier, June 27, 2010.

When does the NOD clock start? Date of letter or date of rating decision?

Edited by Vync

It is t he date of the letter informing you of the rating decision. The rating decision is actually an attachment.

Ad

It is t he date of the letter informing you of the rating decision. The rating decision is actually an attachment.

My friend and I think alike.

I hope others provide feedback too.

Thanks

The date of the notification letter on top.

You know if it is a matter of a few weeks you don't want to cut it that close anyway.