VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medication Issue

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Yesterday a good friend picked me up and we went to lunch. After lunch when getting into car I got wobbly and needed help getting into car and into my house. Almost went straight to Hospital but I hate Hospitals.

Checked glucose and blood pressure and BP was 70/33 glucose was ok after just having eaten at 183. My BP is still on low dose 128/53 and with no medication for over 2 days. I am cutting all medications for bp till my high number goes over 140 and than will start back taking 3 of the four. If I get another low pressure I will stop again and drop to losartin and metropolol

I have another appointment on Aug 25th. Doc thinks the heat triggered this as I have been taking all four for a long time.

I a sort of down about this cause now besides not being able to drive anymore I can;t go out except for medical appointments

My labs and Doc said that actually am better than I was last year so go figure.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

Many people don't realize that LOW blood pressure is really bad too.

It will spin your world around and make you pass out in a heard beat.

I have to forgo some cardiac meds because even with tirating the dosage

up and down, we couldn't get it to NOT lower my BP too much.

For me, it was NOT worth the trade off.

Hopefully your BP levels out in a day or two.

• HadIt.com Elder

It may be the Metropolol. It drops the heart rate.

Be careful self adjusting the meds. You at least need to talk to Telephone care about the episode.

We dont want to lose you, Pete.

J

Good advise here.

I have been suffering from a serious side affect from toprol ( metoprolol) and I weaned myself off it in July and then told my doctor what I had done.

This was the sole med I have ever been on and I was not going to take it anymore. ( I do NOT recommend doing this without a doctor's support however because there can be adverse affects if one weans off this med too quickly.

I was on a low dose and have no heart disease and stress is the main cause of my BP to go high.

My doctor was supportive because of side affects I had.She suggested some homeopathic pills for stress, and the DASH diet.

I highly recommend this diet with medical supervision- DASH Dietary Approach to Stopping Hypertension.

It's goal is to reduce HBP by proper eating but is not a weight loss diet. (but still one could loss weight I believe by sticking to it. I get very hungry during the day but am forcing myself to eat fruit instead of a goodie.)

Drops in BP can cause falls, confusion and a myriad of other anxiety provoking and/or serious other issues.

Also there are stressful situations that come from other people- and that we can often avoid---- by just saying "NO".

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf