VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao Korea

Rate this question

Berta

Question

from Ed Crosby via Jerrel Cook:

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/07/27/u-s-soldiers-sprayed-agent-orange-across-korea/

I believethis is the same Phil Stewart who is with the Korean War Project or if not maybe veteransinfo.org.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This has gone from bad to awful.

Does anyone know if AO was used during the Korean War? I know someone who was stationed there, but not directly in combat. They are in their 70's and have been diagnosed with a number of illnesses, including alzheimer's. Curious is this might be related.

Does anyone know if AO was used during the Korean War?

Yes, there have been AO awards for herbicide exposure in Korea.But very few. This is one of them:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp99/files1/9906724.txt

I have posted here the older regulation and also the unit list as it has changed from time to time and this is the latest regulation info:

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2035

In part:

– “Veterans exposed to herbicides while serving along the demilitarized zone (DMZ) in Korea will have an easier path to access quality health care and benefits under a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) final regulation that will expand the dates when illnesses caused by herbicide exposure can be presumed to be related to Agent Orange.

“VA’s primary mission is to be an advocate for Veterans,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki “With this new regulation VA has cleared a path for more Veterans who served in the demilitarized zone in Korea to receive access to our quality health care and disability benefits for exposure to Agent Orange.”

Under the final regulation published today in the Federal Register, VA will presume herbicide exposure for any Veteran who served between April 1, 1968, and Aug. 31, 1971, in a unit determined by VA and the Department of Defense (DoD) to have operated in an area in or near the Korean DMZ in which herbicides were applied.

Previously, VA recognized that Agent Orange exposure could only be conceded to Veterans who served in certain units along the Korean DMZ between April 1968 and July 1969.”

I read through many denials at the BVA before I found the above award.

In many denials the veteran had not provided sufficient evidence of their unit and date of alleged exposure,causing many remands of these claims.

The spraying was done primarily on a 151 mile swath south of the civilian control line.

Edited by Berta

My 2008 posthere contains this link and additional units that were added:

"Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

http://www.nvlsp.org/Information/ArticleLi...O-aoinkorea.htm

Also to include Division Reaction Forces (4-7 Cav, COunter Agent Company)

3rd Brigade 7th ID (1-17 Inf (Mechanized) 2-17 Inf Mech, 1-73 Armor,2-10 Cav,

Also Field ,,Artillery ,Signal and Enginneers support personnel as required.

(Source NVLSP VBM page 196 2007 edition)

The new VBM has gone to print and I expect it to arrive here soon-will let all know of this unit list has changed since the 2007 edition. "

When the VBM arrived NVLSP added these to the unit list:

Division Reaction Force 4th Squadron 7th Calvary Counter Agent Company

United Nations Command Security Battalion Joint Security Area (UNCSB -JSA)

Crew of the USS Pueblo

I expect the 2011 Edition of the VBM to come out soon and it will have any further unit additions to this list which I will post here in the AO forum.