VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Central Apnea

Rate this question

cooter

Question

Has anyone heard of a machine used for patients with Central Apnea that automatically comes on and off when you stop breathing? It's not a CPAP. I think the Dr mentioned something like a cervo device.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Has anyone heard of a machine used for patients with Central Apnea that automatically comes on and off when you stop breathing? It's not a CPAP. I think the Dr mentioned something like a cervo device.

Cooter:

Check out this link http://thesleepsite.com/content/view/76/91/

It talks about an Adaptive Servo-Ventilation machine, apparently it's similar to the CPAP but only comes on when needed.

Rick

Appreciate that Rick! My last sleep test showed I was ok with the obstructive apnea but I do have a problem with central apnea. I'm getting retested to see if it has gotten any worse since the last one. After reading that link you provided, it mentioned poeple are switching from the cpap to this. I guess it's suppose to be more comfortable and easier to adapt. Anyway, my Dr mentioned I might be a candidate for it. I wonder if VA has a rating for this, or would it be classified the same as the cpap? Thank's again Rick!

Appreciate that Rick! My last sleep test showed I was ok with the obstructive apnea but I do have a problem with central apnea. I'm getting retested to see if it has gotten any worse since the last one. After reading that link you provided, it mentioned poeple are switching from the cpap to this. I guess it's suppose to be more comfortable and easier to adapt. Anyway, my Dr mentioned I might be a candidate for it. I wonder if VA has a rating for this, or would it be classified the same as the cpap? Thank's again Rick!

Cooter

The VA did a sleep study on me the beginning of the month and I have obstructive sleep apnea, I go in Tuesday to get my machine, from what I've heard I believe that I'll be getting an Apap rather than a CPAP, as I understand it the machine are the same except that the CPAP is programed for one pressure thus the meaning of constant, the APAP will automatically provide whatever pressure is need to keep your airway open. Now how the VA would rate it I don't know, I 've heard that if you're on a CPAP and you get sc'd you get 60%, now whether you'd be rated at 60% if you're on a different type of machine I don't know, it would depend on how they have the rating schedule written but it seems to me that you should still get a 60% rating. I just wish I knew of a way I could get mine sc'd but back when I was in the Air Force in the 60's and 70's they didn't know what sleep apnea was, if you went to the doctors about snoring they just told you to sleep on your side. In basic I had to stand during the classes because I'd fall asleep if I sat down.

Rick

There were alot of dx's back in the Nam era that they had no idea what was what, which is one of the main reasons us older vets get screwed proving our claims. Among other reasons, the lost of records in our SMR. If I had all my hospital and clinic records that are missing, I would already be rated 100% either IU or schedular. Also Rick, I believe the max for apnea with use of cpap is 50%. Not sure where you heard 60% from, but perty sure it's 50%.

There were alot of dx's back in the Nam era that they had no idea what was what, which is one of the main reasons us older vets get screwed proving our claims. Among other reasons, the lost of records in our SMR. If I had all my hospital and clinic records that are missing, I would already be rated 100% either IU or schedular. Also Rick, I believe the max for apnea with use of cpap is 50%. Not sure where you heard 60% from, but perty sure it's 50%.

Cooter;

Not sure where I got the 60% from, maybe from the IHD, I think that you are right about the 50% with CPAP machine. After being dx'd with sleep apnea and reading about it I can understand some of the things that have happened during my life, why I always did better working night shift than day shift, if I worked day shift if I sat down too long I'd fall asleep, came close to being fired a couple of time but got lucky in that the person that caught me sleeping didn't report it to my boss. I understand that sleep apnea can also contribute to heart disease. My wife has been telling me for years that she'd lay awake wondering when I'd start breathing. A friend of mine had a niece that died from sleep apnea so it's important for those of us that have it get treated. The VA doctor I talked with on the phone the other day said that losing weight would also help but as we get older it's harder to lose weight, I've really cut back on what and how much I eat in the last year, helped me to lose twenty-five pounds but I need to start moving my butt to lose more. Of course losing the weight will also help with all of the other problems like IHD, diabetes and the other fun things.

Rick

I remember years ago, I was probably in my late 20's when this co-worker would drives us to job sites around the state, and every once in a while he would briefly nod off every now and then. Of course, when ever he did that I would politely say something to him to get his attention. This went on for months and the longer it went on, the shorter my patience got. One day, again he was driving and I was laying back reading a newspaper and about every paragraph I would look up to see if he was alert or at least awake. About 5 minutes later, another co-worker yelled WATCH OUT! I looked up and we were heading in the oncoming lane. Thank God there were no oncoming traffic at the time. We pulled over and I gave him a *$^%*(&)#@$ lecture. This time our foreman listened to us and he (co-worker) got another job waiting in the unemployment line. I guess the bottom line is, if we knew back in the 70's what we know now about sleep apnea, that whole situation would of had a better ending. Now I think back, I really feel sorry for him.