• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

•  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

mrb

Imo/sleep Apnea

Question

I just came off active duty orders about a month ago(title 10),I seen the doc on active duty and the doc said I had all the symptoms.Scheduled the sleep test after I came off orders(because on tricare you have to have a referral from your pcm,so that set me back) luckily I still have tricare for six more months. Now Im on my way to get my cpap machine. HOW AND WHAT DO I SAY FOR A SERVICE CONNECTION LETTER.

MORE INFO BELOW IF NEEDED!

The reason I went for the sleep study was my ortho doc told me to see one. I had two major surgeries and one minor surgery done on my hand. I had a scaphoid fracture (BONE IN THE HAND)that would not heal until the second surgery and the ortho doc done a bone graft from my hip the second time, it supposely healed. The first time was a bone graft from my forearm it did not take. So I could not sleep without chronic pain in my hand going straight up my arm and from my hip down to my knees. That is what lead me the sleep study, so maybe this cpap machine will let me sleep and get my meds regulated and I will be fine. Thankful enough I still have tricare for six more months. I also have some nerve damage where the doc had cut on my hand three times, and range of motion is limited without pain.So needless to say Im spending alot of time at the doc office trying to get these matters taken care of. Im in the air guard so im using civillian docs.

3 answers to this question

If you have not already filed a claim for disability compensation, fill out a VA Form 21-526 http://www.vba.va.go...-21-526-ARE.pdf and mail or hand-carry it to the closest VA Regional Office. Or, you can file an on-line VONAPP application https://www.ebenefit...ts_myeb_vonapp1 . (Personally, I find the VONAPP somewhat confusing.) Don't forget to add the hand surgery.

If you have already filed a claim for compensation, you certainly can use either the 526 or VONAPP. However, you can also use the much simpler VA Form 21-4138 http://www.vba.va.go...21-4138-ARE.pdf or even a simple letter.

Whichever way you go, just write something to the effect of: I request service connection for sleep apnea. If you want to get fancy, you can also add that treatment records prior to separation showed the condition, which was verified by polysomnogram on ______.

I just came off active duty orders about a month ago(title 10),I seen the doc on active duty and the doc said I had all the symptoms.Scheduled the sleep test after I came off orders(because on tricare you have to have a referral from your pcm,so that set me back) luckily I still have tricare for six more months. Now Im on my way to get my cpap machine. HOW AND WHAT DO I SAY FOR A SERVICE CONNECTION LETTER.

MORE INFO BELOW IF NEEDED!

The reason I went for the sleep study was my ortho doc told me to see one. I had two major surgeries and one minor surgery done on my hand. I had a scaphoid fracture (BONE IN THE HAND)that would not heal until the second surgery and the ortho doc done a bone graft from my hip the second time, it supposely healed. The first time was a bone graft from my forearm it did not take. So I could not sleep without chronic pain in my hand going straight up my arm and from my hip down to my knees. That is what lead me the sleep study, so maybe this cpap machine will let me sleep and get my meds regulated and I will be fine. Thankful enough I still have tricare for six more months. I also have some nerve damage where the doc had cut on my hand three times, and range of motion is limited without pain.So needless to say Im spending alot of time at the doc office trying to get these matters taken care of. Im in the air guard so im using civillian docs.

Ad