VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo/sleep Apnea

Rate this question

mrb

Question

I just came off active duty orders about a month ago(title 10),I seen the doc on active duty and the doc said I had all the symptoms.Scheduled the sleep test after I came off orders(because on tricare you have to have a referral from your pcm,so that set me back) luckily I still have tricare for six more months. Now Im on my way to get my cpap machine. HOW AND WHAT DO I SAY FOR A SERVICE CONNECTION LETTER.

MORE INFO BELOW IF NEEDED!

The reason I went for the sleep study was my ortho doc told me to see one. I had two major surgeries and one minor surgery done on my hand. I had a scaphoid fracture (BONE IN THE HAND)that would not heal until the second surgery and the ortho doc done a bone graft from my hip the second time, it supposely healed. The first time was a bone graft from my forearm it did not take. So I could not sleep without chronic pain in my hand going straight up my arm and from my hip down to my knees. That is what lead me the sleep study, so maybe this cpap machine will let me sleep and get my meds regulated and I will be fine. Thankful enough I still have tricare for six more months. I also have some nerve damage where the doc had cut on my hand three times, and range of motion is limited without pain.So needless to say Im spending alot of time at the doc office trying to get these matters taken care of. Im in the air guard so im using civillian docs.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

If you have not already filed a claim for disability compensation, fill out a VA Form 21-526 http://www.vba.va.go...-21-526-ARE.pdf and mail or hand-carry it to the closest VA Regional Office. Or, you can file an on-line VONAPP application https://www.ebenefit...ts_myeb_vonapp1 . (Personally, I find the VONAPP somewhat confusing.) Don't forget to add the hand surgery.

If you have already filed a claim for compensation, you certainly can use either the 526 or VONAPP. However, you can also use the much simpler VA Form 21-4138 http://www.vba.va.go...21-4138-ARE.pdf or even a simple letter.

Whichever way you go, just write something to the effect of: I request service connection for sleep apnea. If you want to get fancy, you can also add that treatment records prior to separation showed the condition, which was verified by polysomnogram on ______.

I just came off active duty orders about a month ago(title 10),I seen the doc on active duty and the doc said I had all the symptoms.Scheduled the sleep test after I came off orders(because on tricare you have to have a referral from your pcm,so that set me back) luckily I still have tricare for six more months. Now Im on my way to get my cpap machine. HOW AND WHAT DO I SAY FOR A SERVICE CONNECTION LETTER.

MORE INFO BELOW IF NEEDED!

The reason I went for the sleep study was my ortho doc told me to see one. I had two major surgeries and one minor surgery done on my hand. I had a scaphoid fracture (BONE IN THE HAND)that would not heal until the second surgery and the ortho doc done a bone graft from my hip the second time, it supposely healed. The first time was a bone graft from my forearm it did not take. So I could not sleep without chronic pain in my hand going straight up my arm and from my hip down to my knees. That is what lead me the sleep study, so maybe this cpap machine will let me sleep and get my meds regulated and I will be fine. Thankful enough I still have tricare for six more months. I also have some nerve damage where the doc had cut on my hand three times, and range of motion is limited without pain.So needless to say Im spending alot of time at the doc office trying to get these matters taken care of. Im in the air guard so im using civillian docs.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use