VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fighting My Fear Of Homelessness With Quiting My Job

Rate this question

socomsam

Question

I was just awarded 30% PTSD (took them only one month from my evaluation on April 4, 2011) plus they raised my percentage for my degenerative disc disease from 10 to 20% to a combined rating of 40%. I am relieved since I've been out of the service for 23 years.

I am enrolled in the voc rehab program, but that has been a long slow road.

I was a combat videographer in the Army (SOCOM) and have been in that profession since separating from the Army in 1988 but I cannot do the work anymore. It's too much for my back. I can no longer hold a camera for any length of time. I've unknowingly been dealing with PTSD for 23 since separating from the service and it has caused a lot of employment problems since. I just didn't know what was wrong. I've never held a job longer than a couple of years before something happens and I am fired or demoted. My latest job taken to make sure my family and I didn't end up on the streets is working in a factory, 12 hour shift, lifting heavy boxes and pallets. Aside from the physical strain on my back, the mental strain is causing far worse problem. My stress levels are through the roof and I have numerous panic attacks at work and constant heart palpitations, which causes me to panic, thinking I am going to have a heart attack or stroke.

I want to quit so bad, but my monthly compensation is not enough to pay the bills.

Does anyone know if you can get unemployment if you quit due to a disability? It seems they want you to be fired first, but my drive to not put my family on the streets keeps me going, even though I am running out of steam.

Also, can someone point me in the direction of a successful Notice of Disagreement?

Thanks

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Dont just up and quit. There is a right way and a wrong way.

Up and quitting is the wrong way.

If you are followed closely by a Doctor, Wether it be a Physical or mental health doctor, This doc must put you off work in writing.

That starts the clock ticking. Then file for IU and SSDI.

Does the place you work have any Long term or short term disavility plans?

These really help.

J

"can someone point me in the direction of a successful Notice of Disagreement?"

Read over the SOC and evidence list carefully.

Did they miss any evidence at all that would warrant a higher award?

My husband went from 30 to 100% SC for PTSD but that took 6 years and he was dead 3 of those years.

It just goes to show how the VA can fail to consider all evidence properly.They missed results from 6 critical psychiatric tests and all of his hypnosis therapy med recs.

He was a VA employee and the VARO didnt even consider his VA employment issues.

Although his performance appraisals were all adequate,some f his co wrkers and supervisors said awful things about his work when he sued VA under EEOC regarding a discrimination issue.

I used the entire EEOC case and all VA EEOC testimony when I re- opened his PTSD claim when he died.

SSA awarded him for PTSD but the VA ignored those SSA findings too.

You need to tell them how you meet a higher rating criteria based on your medical evidence.Also evidence can come from other sources too as in my husband's case.

If you do find yourself unemployed then you could apply for TDIU but still the medical evidence must warrant TDIU.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Your fear is justified. I dragged myself to work for years in a light duty assignment until the bosses put the screws to me and trumped up some charges and fired me. If your back injury is aggravated by your job you can file for workers compensation. If you get the compensation you can hang in there until you get TDIU or SSDI. In this economy there is no easy answer to your questions. You can't quit for non medical reasons and get unemployment. In my state you have to be laid off due to lack of work. Every state is different.

Does anyone know if you can get unemployment if you quit due to a disability?

Thanks

Unemployment benefits will not be provided under the above circumstance.

Also, to collect unemployment benefits one must be able and available for work.