VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Ssdi

Rate this question

Rangerwaldo

Question

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

BTW, A friend of mine's wife works for social. She told me I was denied most likely because of my age? She said if I was 50 I would have been approved.

She told me to beef up the PTSD and depression which I did. Im hoping for the best. Make sure you check out "Patricks Self Report", It's good stuff.

RLTW,

Waldo

This is piss poor advice and I suggest NO ONE do this - examiners look for things such as this

and it can certainly harm a claim for benefits if an examiner ever addresses in any way, that the

claimant has "beef up" or exaggerated any mental health symptoms.

It doesn't take much of something like this for a claim either with SSA or VA to get flagged as

exaggeration or malingering for monetary (benefits) gain.

DO NOT DO IT !

JMHO

Carlie,

Nothing was exaggerated on my part. I have consistent records for twenty plus years. After looking into what SS had they never got my mental health records. My friends wife told me that I had all the physical requirements to be disabled but that my age affected SS decision. She knew about events that happened to me in the service and my career in civil service and told me to submit that evidence (PTSD, Depression) to "Beef" up my claim. I have never "exaggerated" any claim or been a "Malingerer" in my life and I take offense to you suggesting that.

Waldo

waldo,

I'm sorry you have taken offense to my post - if you re-read it you will clearly see that I, in no way suggested that YOU

have ever "exaggerated" any claim or that YOU have ever been a "Malingerer".

My post is in reply to what you posted and I posted that "NO ONE" do this (referring to your friend's wife's advice).

"A friend of mine's wife works for social." "She told me to beef up the PTSD and depression which I did."

At this point I don't even feel that I personally would be paying much attention to the advice your friend's wife is advising

you on, even this advice I'm quoting next, does not jive with me:

"My friends wife told me that I had all the physical requirements to be disabled but that my age affected SS decision."

Although age can be a factor for SSA benefits, especially for younger claimants, if the above were true

"that I had all the physical requirements to be disabled" for SSA purposes - age alone,could not be used against you

and secondly, since this person states that you had "all the physical requirements to be disabled" then why bother

even submitting any mental health evidence - a claimant does not have to have both physical and mental disabilities

to receive a fully favorable decision from SSA.

JMHO

I am Bipolar and also have MH records going back over 20 years, but that didn't help me any with the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) I got. He approves 36% of the claims that go in front of him. He even discredited the GAF score given by Social Security's consultant. It has been mentioned in other threads, that sometimes it's the roll of the dice on what kind of ALJ you get.

The ALJ I got ignored the fact that I said "I have good days and bad days", and translated that to my not being credible - which I found and still find extremely insulting. He looked through my VA treatment notes, and only selected items from periods where I was doing OK. He completely ignored the fact that Bipolar is episodic in nature, and there will be good and bad days, weeks or even months. But enough of my rambling...

I guess what I was trying to say is that someone from Social Security can look at your records and make a determination before they ever exam/judge you. If you present yourself as worse than you actually are, they they might say you were exaggerating or malingering.

Bonzai,

I truly hope you get what you deserve. I know exactly what you are talking about being judged before someone gets to know or examine you. I recently (couple of months ago) had a problem at the va with my pcp. I have seen this guy twice in my lifetime. I told him I was filing for SSDI and he was completely insulting! If anyone deserved to get their ass kicked it was him. Hang in there!

Carlie,

She said something about falling into the grids and my age? I think this woman meant well and was trying to help me? Was this "piss poor" advice? maybe it was, I don't know? I do know now that when SS made their initial decision there was a tremendous amount of info they did not have. I made the mistake of assuming SS would get all my info from treating Dr's. I was sorely mistaken. SS has everything now so I guess we'll see what happens.

Carlie,

In regards to taking offense, I did at first. Before I got back to seeing my old psychiatrist at the VA I had seen three Dr's at VA who all passed the buck on filling out these forms. I am extremely lucky I was able to see my old shrink, he knows me and my past. It really irked me that these other three would not help me and judged me without looking at my records. I would tell them to just turn on the computer and put my social in everything is right there. For the last three months I have been judged unfairly and it *uckin pisses me off! I did more by the time I was twenty five then these three idiots put together. When I read your post it instantly struck a nerve and I reacted because of what has gone on at va.

I appreciate all that you and the other elders do! This is the best site for vets bar-none. The past three months have been very stressful.

Carlie,

She said something about falling into the grids and my age?

I think this woman meant well and was trying to help me? Was this "piss poor" advice? maybe it was, I don't know? I do know now that when SS made their initial decision there was a tremendous amount of info they did not have. I made the mistake of assuming SS would get all my info from treating Dr's. I was sorely mistaken. SS has everything now so I guess we'll see what happens.

Carlie,

In regards to taking offense, I did at first. Before I got back to seeing my old psychiatrist at the VA I had seen three Dr's at VA who all passed the buck on filling out these forms. I am extremely lucky I was able to see my old shrink, he knows me and my past. It really irked me that these other three would not help me and judged me without looking at my records. I would tell them to just turn on the computer and put my social in everything is right there. For the last three months I have been judged unfairly and it *uckin pisses me off! I did more by the time I was twenty five then these three idiots put together. When I read your post it instantly struck a nerve and I reacted because of what has gone on at va.

I appreciate all that you and the other elders do! This is the best site for vets bar-none. The past three months have been very stressful.

waldo,

I feel the person was probably trying to help you - but going by exactly what was posted, they may not know - as much as

they THINK they know - OR - there is some mis-communication involved in it, between you two.

What I called piss poor advice - is what's bolded and underlined in my previous post.

Here's some very specific SSA links for your research.

Regardless of what your friends wife tells or advises you - these are SSA's rules and regs

pertaining to SSDI - Evidence and just generally what's need to get the benefit granted.

JMHO

Disability Evaluation Under Social Security

(Blue Book- June 2011)

Listing of Impairments - Adult Listings (Part A)

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm

12.00 Mental Disorders - Adult

Section

12.00 Mental Disorders

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/12.00-MentalDisorders-Adult.htm

(Blue Book- September 2008)

Part II - Evidentiary Requirements

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/evidentiary.htm

(Blue Book- September 2008)

Part III - Listing Of Impairments (overview)

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/listing-impairments.htm