VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clarification Of A Disability Rating

Rate this question

mos1833

Question

i am trying to understand my first diagnosis code in 1984 as to unlisted conditions,requiring rating by analogy.the last 2 digits will be "99" for all unlisted conditions.if the rating is determined on the bases of residual conditions,the number appropriate to the residual condition will be added,preceded by a hyphen. so when they used 5299-5295 was that indicating there was residual worth rating. thanks

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

thanks john999

when i started boot camp they changed my medical records,to indicate that the examiner changed medical profile to ( pulhes )and i didnt know any thing about it til i got my smr's after they denied me in 1984 for that defect.

"Military Physical Profile Serial System

The PULHES Factors

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/l/blpulse.htm

To determine medical standards for different jobs, and to make sure that military members are medically qualified to perform the duties of that job, the military has developed a medical profile indicator, known as the physical profile serial system.

The physical profile serial system is based primarily upon the function of body systems and their relation to military duties. The functions of the various organs, systems, and integral parts of the body are considered. Since the analysis of the individual’s medical, physical, and mental status plays an important role in assignment and welfare, the military takes great care in executing the functional grading.

In developing the system, the functions have been considered under six factors designated “P–U–L–H–E–S.” Each of these letters stand for a specific medical area:

(1) P — The "P" in "P-U-L-H-E-S" stands for "Physical capacity or stamina." This factor, general physical capacity, normally includes conditions of the heart; respiratory system; gastrointestinal system, genitourinary system; nervous system; allergic, endocrine, metabolic and nutritional diseases; diseases of the blood and blood forming tissues; dental conditions; diseases of the breast, and other organic defects and diseases that do not fall under other specific factors of the system.

(2) U — The "U" area is used for "Upper extremities." This factor concerns the hands, arms, shoulder girdle, and upper spine (cervical, thoracic, and upper lumbar) in regard to strength, range of motion(3) L — Lower extremities. This factor concerns the feet, legs, pelvic girdle, lower back musculature and lower spine (lower lumbar and sacral) in regard to strength, range of motion, and general efficiency.

(4) H — Hearing and ears. This factor concerns auditory acuity and disease and defects of the ear.

(5) E — Eyes. This factor concerns visual acuity and diseases and defects of the eye.

(6) S — Psychiatric. This factor concerns personality, emotional stability, and psychiatric diseases."

TO find out more just go to the link.

iceturkee.

i was wondering if you ever filed for a back disorder ? if so . how did they rate it ?

i was medically discharged from the navy in 1988 with 10 percent for my back. it took me 19 years to get that increased to 40 percent. i fell down two flight of stairs when i was in the army and sustained a slight compression fractures to one of the vertebrae in my thoracic spine.

"Military Physical Profile Serial System

The PULHES Factors

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/l/blpulse.htm

To determine medical standards for different jobs, and to make sure that military members are medically qualified to perform the duties of that job, the military has developed a medical profile indicator, known as the physical profile serial system.

The physical profile serial system is based primarily upon the function of body systems and their relation to military duties. The functions of the various organs, systems, and integral parts of the body are considered. Since the analysis of the individual’s medical, physical, and mental status plays an important role in assignment and welfare, the military takes great care in executing the functional grading.

In developing the system, the functions have been considered under six factors designated “P–U–L–H–E–S.” Each of these letters stand for a specific medical area:

(1) P — The "P" in "P-U-L-H-E-S" stands for "Physical capacity or stamina." This factor, general physical capacity, normally includes conditions of the heart; respiratory system; gastrointestinal system, genitourinary system; nervous system; allergic, endocrine, metabolic and nutritional diseases; diseases of the blood and blood forming tissues; dental conditions; diseases of the breast, and other organic defects and diseases that do not fall under other specific factors of the system.

(2) U — The "U" area is used for "Upper extremities." This factor concerns the hands, arms, shoulder girdle, and upper spine (cervical, thoracic, and upper lumbar) in regard to strength, range of motion(3) L — Lower extremities. This factor concerns the feet, legs, pelvic girdle, lower back musculature and lower spine (lower lumbar and sacral) in regard to strength, range of motion, and general efficiency.

(4) H — Hearing and ears. This factor concerns auditory acuity and disease and defects of the ear.

(5) E — Eyes. This factor concerns visual acuity and diseases and defects of the eye.

(6) S — Psychiatric. This factor concerns personality, emotional stability, and psychiatric diseases."

TO find out more just go to the link.

thanks carlie

but i dont understand, is this used for all service personal to decide a mos, (is it in everbodys records )

or should i say what triggers its use,

thanks carlie

but i dont understand, is this used for all service personal to decide a mos, (is it in everbodys records )

all i can remember about this from my army days is that each area, you were given a number...i believe from 1 to 5. obviously, one of those numbers met you were physically qualified. i can remember temporary illnesses or injuries that changed the number to indicate i wasn't physically qualified. and that's all i remember (and this is from the mid 1970's).

• HadIt.com Elder

What gets me is the army sends troops with medical dx of PTSD back to a combat zone and to a combat MOS! When they get desparate they will send everyone with a pulse to the combat zone regardless of MOS.

thanks carlie

They have nothing to do with one another.

mos + military occupational specialty.