VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Records Question

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Does anyone know?

When you file for SSD. They ask if you were in the military service. When they are gathering your records to make a decision for benefits I know they get the most recent records to review, but do they also get the entire MSR's including the 30 year old "in-service" records?

Thanks,

Jangrin :unsure:

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jstacy

SSD does not really care about old records. Their main concern is your present disability and the how long is may last and whether you meet their disabiltiy guidelines. The VA only looks at old records to investigate a claim for in service conditions.

They do work together as to the actual disability portion sharing information.

• HadIt.com Elder

the only other part of military service in pre-1956 service tiem gets you extra credit towards your SS or SSD.

Guest jangrin

Thanks all, I was just wondering because I thought if they got the old SMR's I could get a copy of them from Social Security rather than waiting for them from NARA. It's been a while and we are still waiting. I thought maybe SS had them and if they had requested they would probably get them quicker than we would. It was just a thought. Thanks again.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know I don't think the VA even looks at the old medical records when you ask for an increase. If you are already service connected they just look at the most recent treatment records to determine your degree of disability.

Guest jangrin

John999,

I wish I could say my husband was service connected. We are "newbies" at this. Ya know still learning the ropes so to speak. We need to lok at my husbands MSR's cuz he doesn't remember much about vietnam and I think he's hoping the records will help him with dates and times. So we need to keep waiting on the govenment to send them to us. But good news we talked to Dr. Bash yesterday and he thinks he can help us. So we are excited about that.

Thanks for your help,

• HadIt.com Elder

jangrin

Getting the initial service connection is the hardest part, especially for PTSD and anything that develops later on years after discharge.