VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Award Ssdi On Aug 4,2011

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

I call SSA and they told me I was award SSDI on Aug 4, 2011. SSA personnal could not tell me what amount or when will I get my 1st check or backpay money. Anyone have any answers for me? Thanks Veterans friends. Have a bless day

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Congrats Maurice, that is good news. I am still waiting for my hearing date so hearing a positive report is encoraging.

/doc

• HadIt.com Elder

"There is no retro money for the first five months of the claim time."

Sort of generally but not always true. Turns out that SSA can (usually requires some prompting)

go back to the time the disability started, if it's within a certain time. The application date

is generally after the disability started, due to the usual efforts to make sure that the medical information is in place or available to substantiate the claim.

The five months can under certain conditions, run from the date that the disability started.

This whole issue was one I fought about with SSA, and got an earlier effective date that amounted to six months after my last day of work.

Part of the medical record issue was to make sure that SSA ruled that I was disabled by a combination of conditions that were known to

occur (at least on a presumptive basis) due to A/O exposure, and that one was known to aggravate the other.

The SSA determination read IHD & DMII when all was said and done. A concurrent fight with the VA continued past the SSA determination.

An initial denial totally ignored the SSA determination, even though it was in my "C" file.

I also found out that the chances of an SSA disability approval generally increase when you are able to concurrently file for early retirement. (Age 62)

It seems that SSA has to pay, and the only bone of contention is how much.

Maurice,

Great news.

You should have your retro money fairly soon.

There is no retro money for the first five months of the claim time.

You should get your 1st regular payment in Oct and it will be for Sept.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

I filed in June and SS started the clock the prior March. It took 4 months so I did get retro

• HadIt.com Elder

Great News..time to celebrate...I have 16th birthday so 3rd week. Perfect deal for me VA 1st & SSD 3rd week....