VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Advice - Ptsd Claim Sent In 10 Months Ago And Work

Rate this question

usmcgirl

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Curious about the breed of dog but be that as it may a boss does not have the right to say a service dogs breed is unacceptable.

If I read between the lines it appears that your Doc is saying you are close to not being able to work at your present job. If this is so many have disability insurance at work long term and short term you should look into what you have

As your Doc is supportive you are fortunate many VA Docs will not help Veterans like that.

Good Luck

My Service working dog is a licensed Pit bull. That is what the agency that trained and licensed her said. that once a dog passes all of it's tests and becomes licensed none of the breed specific laws matter. no dogs that show aggression in any form can even be considered into a service working dog program. I am very luck with my therapist. All of the doctors at our clinic are wonderful. I am skeptical on the latter half of my claim sent to the VA and on my issues at work. scares the crap out of me.

thanks for your response!!!! :biggrin:

Edited by usmcgirl

I just went through a successful EEOC claim on my own so I think I can help a little.

All but the service dog I know your employer is obligated to make accommodations. You'll want to contact the ADA and find out if you are covered by their Americans with disabilities act. If so make a written complaint to HR. Make sure you have a copy of the complaint signed by them and send a copy of your complaint letter by certified mail to your HR office. Next step is to give them a few days. If you are covered by ADA you can request a modified schedule, moved to part time, moved to different location in building, work space made more private, allow to call motivation coach/therapist/family/ect for support, and have and on the job coach.

By writing and making it formal with HR it'll make your employer look bad if they fire you with no cause that happened after your complaint. It would also be a good time to call the EEOC and make sure you have your ducks in a row. BTW if your HR refuses to accept your pre-written letter contact the EEOC asap. Whatever you do don't quit or resign. Let them fire you. Quiting or resigning is a "loop hole" and makes it easier for them to get rid of you without being legally wrong.

that's some really great advice. I think I am going to have to take that route. Each day it's just getting harder and harder. The waiting and waiting. Waiting on the VA.....waiting on work...as of last week because of this mysterious "military clause" that i fall under I will not have a paycheck because the benefits department now has to research PTSD.

I don't know how the rating with the VA is going to turn out either since I never reported it.

I'm in the same boat as you in regards to the VA. Sad to say but unless you play by the book which most of us don't know exist let alone how to use it your employer will walk all over you and get away with it. Here are some links to keep you occupied. For me researching ADA, EEOC kept me sane and made me feel empowered.

http://www.womenemployed.org/docs/EEOC%20General.pdf

http://socialanxietydisorder.about.com/od/sadandworkschool/a/disclosure.htm

http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/506801.htm

http://www.peo7.com/newsletter/newsletter2Issue.htm

http://www.ada.gov/copsq7a.htm

You'll want to focus first on ADA law and how to determine if your disability is covered by ADA/EEOC

Then move on to searching for cases involving similar situations to your own.

I'll also add that if you are denied employment, or fired because of a disability your employer thinks you have but you don't you are still covered under the ADA.

thanks! i will def check those links out. my doc wrote in a letter addressed to HR that I was covered by the ADA for my disablities which she then faxed over to them along with all the other paperwork my company asked her to fill out pertaining to me going on leave. I feel like I am in a dog and pony show.