VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnosed With Ptsd

Rate this question

LILS

Question

Hello Everyone,

I retired 3 MINUTES AGO & was just diagnosed as having PTSD 2 days ago. I went in to just get a prescription refill on one of my meds & I saw a different doctor that I hadn't seen in approx 6 months. He retired not too long after my mom's murder, so he hasn't been following me. I didn't mention anything about PTSD to the doc. He said I was suffering from it, due to how I was acting & the problems I was having, etc. He even pulled out a book on PTSD & read aloud the signs & said, "Now, tell me which one of those don't you have"? I knew I was suffering, but I thought it was all from depression or I would've gotten help 9 months ago. I thought all the medication switching the doctors were doing would help. My husband is helping to write this, since I can’t seem to get my thoughts together to type this.

Some background info: My mother went missing in Dec 2010, so I flew home. Her body was found a week later in the woods, in a Metropolitan Park. She had been stabbed to death, and had head injuries. This is a long, long story (even longer than what is written below…sorry. I will post some of the newspaper articles below (they are all over the internet), so you can read it for yourself & I won’t have to try to get my jumbled thoughts together. Someone is even writing a book about it. I don’t like reliving all of that; it has been a horrible year. I am an only child & only grandchild to add even more to the story. I was responsible for everything, including having the crime scene cleaned, which was my mom’s garage. I also inherited that house. I have to make sure my grandfather is taken care of now, since his only 2 children were taken away. I fly home every month to see him in an assisted living home; he has moderate dementia. I had so much to do the first 7 months & am still going through stuff that reminds me every day of what happened, what I saw, & what I heard. I have a videotaped copy of my uncle’s 1 ½ hour confession tape. The stuff that he said he did to my mother on that tape is horrifying & unimaginable. It has scarred me for life.

Initial news reports: http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-detroit/novi-man-arraigned-on-charge-of-murder-1-death-of-sister

My uncle decided to plead” guilty” after initially confessing to everything & then pleading not guilty for 6 months: http://www.candgnews.com/news/man-pleads-guilty-sister%25E2%2580%2599s-brutal-murder

PORTIONS OF MY STATEMENT DURING SENTENCING:

Marc, I have gone over this exact moment in my head for over 6 months. I have written you many statements, but threw them all out, since the way I feel about you changes constantly. Some days I want you to get beaten everyday you spend in prison & some days I have cried for you, knowing the horror you will face in prison. Crying for you has brought me guilt, because I felt I was disrespecting my mother’s memory, for feeling ANYTHING for you.

I do want to make it very clear to you that I suspected you from the beginning. It took everything I had to completely fake my way through any communication with you & XX; even when you stood in my mother’s kitchen, pretending to help me find her. You have impacted my life in so many negative ways. I had to identify my mom’s body, I had to tell my children, your father, the rest of our family, & my mom’s friends of her murder. I haven’t even told XX how her grandmother really died. We told her she died in her sleep, so XX wouldn’t be scared that her own family could kill her. I had to plan my mom’s memorial & cremation, I had to find homes for all 5 of her animals, which you had left in her house for 4 days without food & water; all her animals had to be split up. I had to deal with seeing the media broadcasting from my mom’s house, more than once. I had to dispose of my mom’s furniture & personal items, & that absolutely crushed me, because I was losing memories of her each time I did. I constantly have to tell grandpa why he will never see you again, because he keeps forgetting or chooses to forget what you have done. I have to endure his conversations about what a good son you are. Because of you, grandpa no longer has any of his children to visit with him during his final days. I cannot be there as much as I would like & that guilt follows me everywhere. At one point, when my mom was missing, I was even scared of you & thought you would kill me also to get the rest of the inheritance; I also pictured you killing grandpa for that same reason.

I hope one day you and I can have an honest conversation, so I can really know if it was ALL about the money. There had to have been some kind of hatred for her, to have VISCIOUSLY KILLED her the way you did. I had to see the blood splattered all over the garage. I even left the blood there for months, because I was scared to erase any evidence against you even though the police said I could clean it. I also felt it would wash away her spirit. For months, I cried believing her spirit lived in her garage, where she took her final breath. It broke my heart every time I had to leave her house, because I felt I was abandoning her & she would be alone & cold.

Grandpa would have given you anything & has been for years. We all knew you were his favorite child. Even my mom knew & eventually accepted it. It completely disgusts me that she was murdered, trying to protect your father to ensure he could maintain his way of life. I am glad there is no death penalty in MI, not because you don’t deserve to die, but because you deserve to be miserable for the rest of your life. Death is the easy way out & you don’t deserve that.

· You have robbed my mother of the chance to see her only child retire from the AF in 3 months, after serving over 20 years

· You have robbed her of seeing me obtain my Health Care degree, which I finally finished alone, in a hotel room, right after one of your hearings

· You have robbed her of seeing her grandchildren grow up & possibly seeing any great-grandchildren

· You have robbed her of growing old with the friends she’s had for over 40 years

You have robbed her of EVERYTHING

You killed my mom 17 days before her birthday & I am seeing justice 13 days before mine. I hope while you are in prison, you think about your sister & your father EVERYDAY & realize what you have done. I hope you have actual remorse for my mom. And lastly, I hope you wonder EVERYDAY, EVERY MINUTE, EVERY SECOND of your life, was it all worth it??

Uncle’s Sentencing outcome: http://www.candgnews.com/news/man-gets-life-prison-sister%E2%80%99s-brutal-murder<br style=""> <br style="">

I did not know until months after her death that she was almost decapitated. Someone mentioned this article to me, assuming I already knew. I can’t escape that vision. http://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/139862/Novi-man-sentenced-in-sister-s-knife-slaying.html?isap=1&nav=5022

This doesn’t include the continued legal battles I have. I am suing my uncle for wrongful death to ensure he does not get any inheritance from my grandfather when he dies. This is the same money he killed my mother over. She found out he was stealing from my grandfather. The media assumed it was an argument over money. I cannot handle him getting anything & benefiting from my mother’s murder. The stress I feel is overwhelming.

My questions are: Am I wasting my time claiming this, since it wasn't military related (even though I am still active duty until tomorrow)? I have already gone through my C & P exams (VA diagnoses: Axis I: Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent, severe, without psychosis GAF of 50). Will they deny my claim, since I have been diagnosed by the VA with that diagnosis? How do I add that to my claim if I should, since I did Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) approx 3 months ago? For me, it's not all about the money, like some people I literally know. I really want to make sure I can get treated for this long-term. Any other advice is appreciated. By the way, I realize I am putting my name out there, but I need advice & can’t really do it without the articles. I don’t mind my about my privacy. THANKS SO MUCH

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate it. I wasn't diagnosed for PTSD from the VA, because I never claimed it. I had no intention of claiming, until this civilian (prior military doc) said I had it. He said I shouldn't have been diagnosed as Chronic Adjustment Disorder (CAD), which the military diagnosed, along with depression. Now, with the VA diagnosing Major Depressive Disorder, military diagnosing CAD & civilian doc diagnosing PTSD, I'm all confused. I guess they don't see family murders often. I know I shouldn't worry about this stuff, but I don't want to drag this out. I want to get it over with IF something needs to be done. So, I guess I will wait until I get a rating. As far as the VA, do I need to be rated first or diagnosed by them before I can seek treatment there?

As far as the VA, do I need to be rated first or diagnosed by them before I can seek treatment there? You don't have to have a VA-rated disability to get treatment at a VAMC. However, if you want it free, that is, without cost or co-pay ....

Information about VA Medical Care eligibility can be found here: http://www.va.gov/he...eligibility.asp . At this moment, and without knowing anything more about your circumstances, I'd say your initial priority would be Group 8. However, this would change rapidly once you receive your Rating Decision.

However, you earlier wrote that you're retiring from Active Duty ... is that correct? If so, you understand you are automatically enrolled/eligible in TriCare Standard; "all" you have to do is find someone who accepts TriCare. You also are eligible for space-A treatment at a MTF, if close enough.

Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate it. I wasn't diagnosed for PTSD from the VA, because I never claimed it. I had no intention of claiming, until this civilian (prior military doc) said I had it. He said I shouldn't have been diagnosed as Chronic Adjustment Disorder (CAD), which the military diagnosed, along with depression. Now, with the VA diagnosing Major Depressive Disorder, military diagnosing CAD & civilian doc diagnosing PTSD, I'm all confused. I guess they don't see family murders often. I know I shouldn't worry about this stuff, but I don't want to drag this out. I want to get it over with IF something needs to be done. So, I guess I will wait until I get a rating. As far as the VA, do I need to be rated first or diagnosed by them before I can seek treatment there?

Thanks! Yes, I retired today! I am also an active duty dependent wife now, so I will have 2 ID cards. I will be Tricare Prime, since my husband is active duty. I just haven't gotten my new ID cards yet, since it just changed today. Since I will get disability on other things, I guess that means another card (VA will be issued to me.

Hello Everyone,

I retired 3 MINUTES AGO & was just diagnosed as having PTSD 2 days ago. I went in to just get a prescription refill on one of my meds & I saw a different doctor that I hadn't seen in approx 6 months. He retired not too long after my mom's murder, so he hasn't been following me. I didn't mention anything about PTSD to the doc. He said I was suffering from it, due to how I was acting & the problems I was having, etc. He even pulled out a book on PTSD & read aloud the signs & said, "Now, tell me which one of those don't you have"? I knew I was suffering, but I thought it was all from depression or I would've gotten help 9 months ago. I thought all the medication switching the doctors were doing would help. My husband is helping to write this, since I can't seem to get my thoughts together to type this.

Some background info: My mother went missing in Dec 2010, so I flew home. Her body was found a week later in the woods, in a Metropolitan Park. She had been stabbed to death, and had head injuries. This is a long, long story (even longer than what is written below…sorry. I will post some of the newspaper articles below (they are all over the internet), so you can read it for yourself & I won't have to try to get my jumbled thoughts together. Someone is even writing a book about it. I don't like reliving all of that; it has been a horrible year. I am an only child & only grandchild to add even more to the story. I was responsible for everything, including having the crime scene cleaned, which was my mom's garage. I also inherited that house. I have to make sure my grandfather is taken care of now, since his only 2 children were taken away. I fly home every month to see him in an assisted living home; he has moderate dementia. I had so much to do the first 7 months & am still going through stuff that reminds me every day of what happened, what I saw, & what I heard. I have a videotaped copy of my uncle's 1 ½ hour confession tape. The stuff that he said he did to my mother on that tape is horrifying & unimaginable. It has scarred me for life.

Initial news reports: http://www.examiner....death-of-sister

My uncle decided to plead" guilty" after initially confessing to everything & then pleading not guilty for 6 months: http://www.candgnews...s-brutal-murder

PORTIONS OF MY STATEMENT DURING SENTENCING:

Marc, I have gone over this exact moment in my head for over 6 months. I have written you many statements, but threw them all out, since the way I feel about you changes constantly. Some days I want you to get beaten everyday you spend in prison & some days I have cried for you, knowing the horror you will face in prison. Crying for you has brought me guilt, because I felt I was disrespecting my mother's memory, for feeling ANYTHING for you.

I do want to make it very clear to you that I suspected you from the beginning. It took everything I had to completely fake my way through any communication with you & XX; even when you stood in my mother's kitchen, pretending to help me find her. You have impacted my life in so many negative ways. I had to identify my mom's body, I had to tell my children, your father, the rest of our family, & my mom's friends of her murder. I haven't even told XX how her grandmother really died. We told her she died in her sleep, so XX wouldn't be scared that her own family could kill her. I had to plan my mom's memorial & cremation, I had to find homes for all 5 of her animals, which you had left in her house for 4 days without food & water; all her animals had to be split up. I had to deal with seeing the media broadcasting from my mom's house, more than once. I had to dispose of my mom's furniture & personal items, & that absolutely crushed me, because I was losing memories of her each time I did. I constantly have to tell grandpa why he will never see you again, because he keeps forgetting or chooses to forget what you have done. I have to endure his conversations about what a good son you are. Because of you, grandpa no longer has any of his children to visit with him during his final days. I cannot be there as much as I would like & that guilt follows me everywhere. At one point, when my mom was missing, I was even scared of you & thought you would kill me also to get the rest of the inheritance; I also pictured you killing grandpa for that same reason.

I hope one day you and I can have an honest conversation, so I can really know if it was ALL about the money. There had to have been some kind of hatred for her, to have VISCIOUSLY KILLED her the way you did. I had to see the blood splattered all over the garage. I even left the blood there for months, because I was scared to erase any evidence against you even though the police said I could clean it. I also felt it would wash away her spirit. For months, I cried believing her spirit lived in her garage, where she took her final breath. It broke my heart every time I had to leave her house, because I felt I was abandoning her & she would be alone & cold.

Grandpa would have given you anything & has been for years. We all knew you were his favorite child. Even my mom knew & eventually accepted it. It completely disgusts me that she was murdered, trying to protect your father to ensure he could maintain his way of life. I am glad there is no death penalty in MI, not because you don't deserve to die, but because you deserve to be miserable for the rest of your life. Death is the easy way out & you don't deserve that.

· You have robbed my mother of the chance to see her only child retire from the AF in 3 months, after serving over 20 years

· You have robbed her of seeing me obtain my Health Care degree, which I finally finished alone, in a hotel room, right after one of your hearings

· You have robbed her of seeing her grandchildren grow up & possibly seeing any great-grandchildren

· You have robbed her of growing old with the friends she's had for over 40 years

You have robbed her of EVERYTHING

You killed my mom 17 days before her birthday & I am seeing justice 13 days before mine. I hope while you are in prison, you think about your sister & your father EVERYDAY & realize what you have done. I hope you have actual remorse for my mom. And lastly, I hope you wonder EVERYDAY, EVERY MINUTE, EVERY SECOND of your life, was it all worth it??

Uncle's Sentencing outcome: http://www.candgnews...s-brutal-murder<br style=""> <br style="">

I did not know until months after her death that she was almost decapitated. Someone mentioned this article to me, assuming I already knew. I can't escape that vision. http://www.ironmount...isap=1&nav=5022

This doesn't include the continued legal battles I have. I am suing my uncle for wrongful death to ensure he does not get any inheritance from my grandfather when he dies. This is the same money he killed my mother over. She found out he was stealing from my grandfather. The media assumed it was an argument over money. I cannot handle him getting anything & benefiting from my mother's murder. The stress I feel is overwhelming.

My questions are: Am I wasting my time claiming this, since it wasn't military related (even though I am still active duty until tomorrow)? I have already gone through my C & P exams (VA diagnoses: Axis I: Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent, severe, without psychosis GAF of 50). Will they deny my claim, since I have been diagnosed by the VA with that diagnosis? How do I add that to my claim if I should, since I did Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) approx 3 months ago? For me, it's not all about the money, like some people I literally know. I really want to make sure I can get treated for this long-term. Any other advice is appreciated. By the way, I realize I am putting my name out there, but I need advice & can't really do it without the articles. I don't mind my about my privacy. THANKS SO MUCH