VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Med. Opinion

Rate this question

midnight340

Question

Greetings...

My claim PTSD/TDIU has been in for about 7 months, in the meantime I have learned a whole lot from the great people on this site. I get extremely anxious (often) about this whole deal... or just too depressed to do anything. This morning is better.

I think I have decided (I've made an appointment) to have an independent Phd. psychologist do an exam. He has agreed to write a nexus letter provided I bring all records, VA psychiatrists notes, and a sample letter. This will cost me $500-600 ...which I definitely cannot afford as I am unemployed and without much in resources. From what I read on here and other sites though, the IMO can be very persuasive and helpful. What are your thoughts on this? I don't want to have to try to come up with this amount of money if it is not.

Also...I am trying to make sure everything is in order, and appreciate the advice to "connect all the dots" for the VA. I have decided to write a one page letter listing all the information sent in... basically an overview of my claim. It seems that if there is, at first glance, a clear path through the material that it might help make my claim stronger. (at least I hope so...) I am thinking something like the following list... Or dos the VARO have there own checklist and this is just a duplication? I appreciate any response to these thoughts.

1. Letter stating specifically what I am asking for

2. Incidents

3. Orders which place me there, DD-214, etc.

4. Personal accounts

5. Effect on my life- personal / economic

6. Accounts from others

7. Current treatment / medications

8.. Copies of VA psychiatrists statements in records

9. Independent medical opinion

10. Nexus letter (s)

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Greetings...

My claim PTSD/TDIU has been in for about 7 months, in the meantime I have learned a whole lot from the great people on this site. I get extremely anxious (often) about this whole deal... or just too depressed to do anything. This morning is better.

I think I have decided (I've made an appointment) to have an independent Phd. psychologist do an exam. He has agreed to write a nexus letter provided I bring all records, VA psychiatrists notes, and a sample letter. This will cost me $500-600 ...which I definitely cannot afford as I am unemployed and without much in resources. From what I read on here and other sites though, the IMO can be very persuasive and helpful. What are your thoughts on this? I don't want to have to try to come up with this amount of money if it is not.

Also...I am trying to make sure everything is in order, and appreciate the advice to "connect all the dots" for the VA. I have decided to write a one page letter listing all the information sent in... basically an overview of my claim. It seems that if there is, at first glance, a clear path through the material that it might help make my claim stronger. (at least I hope so...) I am thinking something like the following list... Or dos the VARO have there own checklist and this is just a duplication? I appreciate any response to these thoughts.

2. Incidents

4. Personal accounts

6. Accounts from others

10. Nexus letter (s)

• HadIt.com Elder

With new regs the VA has to be the one to DX your PTSD. I would wait and use the IMO to bolster up the percentage after I got SC'ed for PTSD. This is not the way it used to be but it is now as far as I know. The VA has their own check list when they do your C&P exam. What you need from the VA is a PTSD diagnosis and nexus. What is your PTSD claim based on since this will tell us how easy your nexus will be?

I actually think there is plenty already there. My VSO seems to think it is a really strong claim. I don't think there was any question whatsoever with the VA psychiatrist... or social worker, etc. I worry things... keep thinking that I have to do more.... Basically I keep reading that anything can happen, that there's no telling what the VA will do, and I feel like absolutely everything in my life is riding on this.... from being able to take care of myself to my personal relationships. So I was thinking maybe anything extra would help me relax! (I know I'm supposed to simply be patient.)

Greetings...

2. Incidents

4. Personal accounts

6. Accounts from others

10. Nexus letter (s)

Hi Midnight,

Welcome to the forum. I am just finishing my ordeal with the VA pertaining to PTSD. The rules have changed and as others have already posted, the VA will have to schedule you for a C & P exam and they will go thru the whole initial DSM- IV form to diagnose PTSD.

It should take around two hours and is not a fun thing to go through, but believe me it is important to you if you want your claim to be correctly adjudicated.

I spent money in the past for outside counseling and treatment and it helped me to simply cope. The VA cannot use the outside IMO as they are bound by the new regulations for the actual diagnosis. An outside IMO may be helpful in rating the severity once you have the diagnosis.

My suggestion is to send in a statement written by you detailing the events that happened. It is also called a stressor letter. It should be structured as your life existed before the military, what the events happened in you service which are the stressors and also now what your life is like.

The VA will only schedule you for a C & P exam if they believe your stressor letter to have some merit and that there is enough evidence in your records to warrant further claim development.

Good luck!