VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssi But Not Ssdi

Rate this question

cooter

Question

According to my SS Statement, it states I would be eligible for $581 a month at age 62, but do not qualify for SSDI due to not having 20 credits earned in the past 10 years. I worked for the Feds and didn't pay SS cause I was on the old retirement system CSRS. Prior to the Federal service, I did earn enough credits for SSI. As of 08, I was given a disability retirement due to my SC. The wife has been on SSDI since 98. My question is; Since I'm not eligible for SSDI at this time, could I apply for SSDI just for the Medicare purpose's and/or apply for half of the wife's SSDI? I still have a couple years before I'm 62. So there you go folks, anyone wanna take a bite on this one?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Cooter

If you are not eligible for SSDI then you won't be eligible for medicare until you are 65. You make too much to get SSI. You must be getting CSRS. I got FERS. I got SSDI, medicare and that crummy FERS disability pension. You know my FERS is offset by 60% of SSDI, so you did not miss much. I kept my insurance from federal service. Did you keep yours? You should check to see how much of your SSA is going to be offset since you get CSRS.

John

John

Yes I went with the option to keep my Ins. going, and glad I did. Also, on the same statement it did state I am effected by the Government Pension Offset, which say's SSI will be reduced by an amount equal to two-thirds of my Gov. pension. So obviously the $581 SS would be reduced to 0. So some of the benefits working for the Feds aren't as exclusive verses working and retiring from an reputable Co. from the outside work force.

• HadIt.com Elder

Last I checked, you don't even have to be a US citizen to recieve SSI. It's a needs bases program.

If you served during war time, you may be able to use some of your military time and credits to help obtain SSDI.

It helped me get mine.

Also, check out "Non Service Connected Pension" to see if your eligible since your only recieving $581 a month.

Hey Cooter,

Im going to be hit with the Windfall Elimination Program (WEP) If and when I get approved for SSDI. I looked at a chart and I think my offset will be about $400 a month. Are you familiar with WEP and how it works? $400 sounds to good to be true. Let me know.

Thanks,

Waldo

Allen

If its a needs bases program, then I doubt I would be accepted due to my retirement pension and VA

Last I checked, you don't even have to be a US citizen to recieve SSI. It's a needs bases program.

If you served during war time, you may be able to use some of your military time and credits to help obtain SSDI.

It helped me get mine.

Also, check out "Non Service Connected Pension" to see if your eligible since your only recieving $581 a month.

I'll check it out. Not sure yet if I would be effected by both, WEP and GPO.

Is the chart at www.socialsercurity.gov/WEP-CHART.?

Hey Cooter,

Im going to be hit with the Windfall Elimination Program (WEP) If and when I get approved for SSDI. I looked at a chart and I think my offset will be about $400 a month. Are you familiar with WEP and how it works? $400 sounds to good to be true. Let me know.

Thanks,

Waldo