VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Start Voc. Rehab. In Ilp And Then Move To Ojt Track?

Rate this question

Sergeant G

Question

Hi,

I am receiving IU for bipolar disorder. I would like to know your thoughts about starting VR in the Independent Living Program (ILP) for six months and then switching to the On-the-job training (OJT) track. Here's the deal: I am an attorney who became licensed in 2002. I only worked as an attorney from 2003-2004 and have been out of the legal profession since then. I switched careers several times (because of my illness) until I stopped working and was awarded IU in 2009. Because I have not been active in my profession for a number of years, I am currently unemployable as an attorney (and unemployable in general). I haven't applied for VR yet, but have been trying to come up with a plan to propose for when I do. Before I can work as an attorney, I believe I will need to take at least six months to read up on the law. That's when I envision being in ILP. I am hoping the VA will purchase several law books for me (they are extremely expensive) as well as send me to a few Continuing Legal Education seminars. After that, I wanted to switch to the OJT track. From what I read on the VRE website, the OJT program is available only if the veteran works in a government position (federal, state, or local). I would like to work as a prosecutor in the District Attorney's office. Also, from what I understand, the VR program is generally a maximum of 48 months. How does VR determine when you are "rehabilitated?" I would like to take advantage of all four years in VR, but I'm not sure how much experience I need as a prosecutor to be formally hired if it's possible.

Thanks for input.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sgt

Don't let anyone decide for you that you are ready to lose your hard won SSDI and TDIU. The system does not grant those benefits if someone does not think you have a real disability. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? This does not matter as far as voc rehab, but it might matter when you go out into the world to try and get work. I would run the voc rehab out until this depression/recession is over and done. Rehabilitation depends a lot on your age. Age discrimination is real. Every year law schools and colleges crank out thousands of 24 year old grads.

I think I might get a second opinion on my being ready for work. Find a decent psychotherapist and talk to him/her. I am almost 62 so there is no hope of me ever going back to work. Maybe I am prejudiced about the chances people over 50 have of getting work if they have been out for a while. I do know people with bipolar disorder and I know that if something does not click with their meds they can become manic or depressed very quickly. Is your only disability the bipolar disorder?

john999,

I will be 39 next month, and bipolar disorder is my only service-connected condition, but I have ADHD as well. My VA therapist said that I'm "too young" to stay on IU. My comeback is that I will always have bipolar disorder and will be susceptible to "meltdowns" in the future. I suspect that if I were to lose my benefits--VA and SSDI--they would be even harder to get back. It took me three years of fighting with the VA to get the IU in the first place, and I'm still fighting over the effective date of the award. In fact, I just got the IU in January 2011 (with an effective date of July 2009) and in March--only two months later--- my VA therapist was talking about VR. WTF??? I just got the name of a private psychiatrist and I am planning to call him to get a second opinion.