VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Are The Other Va Medical Centers?

Rate this topic

How are the other VA Medical Centers? Mine is San Diego VAMC. I plan to move when my claim get through this miserable claims/appeal process of HELL

Since I have only been using San Diego, and plan on moving to a small town somewhere to get the hell out of the big city B.S. I am wondering how the VAMC's are in othe rplaces..

Oregon?

Washington?

Idaho

Nevada?

I prefer a cooler climate and would like to go North, preferably west coast, maybe near mountains too...

I suffer from fevers... and hate hot temperatures.. especially during fevers... plus I can't enjoy small walks in heat... and miss rain,, doesn't rain here much..

I would love open roads, places to go out and spend the day where there is open country...

queitness, away from the crazy cities and lunatics..

but suffering with pancreas disease, degernative disc disease, long hikes are not probable.. and I must be within an hour of a VAMC for treatment...

but, I don't at all want to be in the big cities,, only to travel to a VAMC. Also, some clinics specialize in certain disease,, not sure where the places I mentioned specialize in or don't specialize in...

cost of living must be less than here,,,

I went to some towns / places on the internet and the cities usually have little calculators on the websites showing a cost of living comparrison..

most show a much lower cost of living..

San Diego VAMC has excellent care.. but living around the area sucks,, not as bad as Los Angeles (sorry, no offence.. as my family was from there..) but let's face it, it's not the best place..

especially if one like me has a terminal disease, lives on moprhine from pain, and want's to try to enjoy whatever time I have left..

Edited by retiredat44

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are the other VA Medical Centers? Mine is San Diego VAMC. I plan to move when my claim get through this miserable claims/appeal process of HELL

Since I have only been using San Diego, and plan on moving to a small town somewhere to get the hell out of the big city B.S. I am wondering how the VAMC's are in othe rplaces..

Oregon?

Washington?

Idaho

Nevada?

I prefer a cooler climate and would like to go North, preferably west coast, maybe near mountains too...

I suffer from fevers... and hate hot temperatures.. especially during fevers... plus I can't enjoy small walks in heat... and miss rain,, doesn't rain here much..

I would love open roads, places to go out and spend the day where there is open country...

queitness, away from the crazy cities and lunatics..

but suffering with pancreas disease, degernative disc disease, long hikes are not probable.. and I must be within an hour of a VAMC for treatment...

but, I don't at all want to be in the big cities,, only to travel to a VAMC. Also, some clinics specialize in certain disease,, not sure where the places I mentioned specialize in or don't specialize in...

cost of living must be less than here,,,

I went to some towns / places on the internet and the cities usually have little calculators on the websites showing a cost of living comparrison..

most show a much lower cost of living..

San Diego VAMC has excellent care.. but living around the area sucks,, not as bad as Los Angeles (sorry, no offence.. as my family was from there..) but let's face it, it's not the best place..

especially if one like me has a terminal disease, lives on moprhine from pain, and want's to try to enjoy whatever time I have left..

I am sure that the San Diego Medical Center is quite good and can't compare it to the local one but you might take a look at the VAMC in Roseburg, Oregon.

The area here most likely will give you all the peace that you need and it is a nice place to live. I am from San Diego originally and have no desire to go back.

Roseburg is close to the mountains (outside town), ocean (about 60 miles), lots of trails, lakes, rivers and cool (sometimes a bit soggy) weather. And no where near the population your in now!

Good Luck

handler

I am sure that the San Diego Medical Center is quite good and can't compare it to the local one but you might take a look at the VAMC in Roseburg, Oregon.

The area here most likely will give you all the peace that you need and it is a nice place to live. I am from San Diego originally and have no desire to go back.

Roseburg is close to the mountains (outside town), ocean (about 60 miles), lots of trails, lakes, rivers and cool (sometimes a bit soggy) weather. And no where near the population your in now!

Good Luck

handler

My grandparents had a home outside of Eugene Oregon, and I have/had relatives (Uncles/Aunts, cousins there in several cities... I used to go there are a kid every year..

I know how it felt then, but that was a long time ago...

• HadIt.com Elder

The Tampa VAMC is poor. The place looks dirty to me. I worry about lice when I sit in the seats waiting for blood work etc. I have received pretty poor care. Of course, I have received poor care in civilian world as well. Our medical system in the U.S. is chaotic.

ret44,

I understand your sentiments; I left L.A. in '78 & won't be living in Cali again.

You don't need to be in a major city if the local clinic is good.

Portland, Oregon VA is pretty good but a sonofagun for parking sometimes.

Fortunately, they have CBOC's like in Hillsboro.

West Portland (Beaverton, Hillsboro etc) might be a consideration for you.

It's cooler there, not far from beach, mountains and rural areas yet has more and newer stores than Portland.

Cost of living is reasonable. Public transportation better than average.

Plenty going on in the area - lots of greenies but diversity with many California transplants.

Hope you get good news on your claim soon! :wink:

• 1 month later...

I loved Idaho Falls for being really beautiful, during my traveling days,,,, but I defintely do not want to live in the desert, as I have lived in and close to desert areas most of my life... like Southern California.. but I don't want it cold and wet all year either.. I want 4 seasons.... but again, I must be near a VA, for my life... (I get fevers often).

Oregon is nice, but not much outdoor stuff during the cold wet months... the Eastern parts starts the desert... Nevada is too hot anything South of Reno and Washington state too has the coastal, cool climate, with a desert inland...

i would like to be able to enjoy more open roads, not being crammed into a city and wet rainy roads... and enjoy some sporty rides , with hopfully a nice car... (need that money for new car)

Our old Toyota Corolla has 400,0000 miles on it and needs to be retired badly..) maybe anew Camaro would be fun to ride in and get some fresh air.. (dreaming) it also has independent rear suspension, Ford Mustang still have one rear axle...unless you buy a speciasl version which costs a huge amount of money..

still have to limit my walking to very small walks, but be able to get out and walk a little..

wish I could have a small log cabin with cable tv and Internet on a very quiet lot with no noise, no people, no lawn mowers allowed.. an 80 mph speed limit for the roads... so I can enjoy driving without cops and cities using tickets to make money for the cities... scams...

Mammoth Lakes in California is nice but no VA nearby,, Reno is closest, but then it's back to high cost of living and city life..

I am extremely sick of California politics, laws, crime, illegals.. and since I grew up it went from great to miserable...

I bet I sound like I just will not be happy... and you are probably right,, too many bad experiences, very bad poor health,, no cure for my diseases....

Then, no more issue, my wife.. she want's half of everything,,, she wants to be near to her family...