VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From My Va Doc In Support Of Claim

Rate this question

Loose Cannon

Question

Had another appointment today with my VA mental health doctor. I asked for a letter/statement in support of my claim for an increased rating for PTSD and TDIU (currently 30% SC for PTSD and 60% SC overall). I would greatly welcome anyone's opinion who has been down this road before as to how beneficial this statement will be in my claim. I have already submitted similar letters from my last employer and have a C&P exam scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 13th. I am very anxious/nervous about the exam for fear I will forget to mention something or write something I shouldn't on the paperwork they gave me to complete and bring to the exam. Again, any advice from my fellow vets would be greatly appreciated. Anyways...here's what my doctors statement says:

XXXX XXXXXX has been undergoing treatment at the Durham VA Raleigh II Clinic since February 2011. He has the diagnosis of PTSD. Alcohol/substance abuse is in early remission.

This veteran has not been able to work full or part time since February 2011 after being fired from his job as XXXXXXXXX. In Feb 2011 he indicated he’d not been able to work for fear he’d “blow up” at people; he has a history of over reacting to things people say and he is easily annoyed and impatient. He is at times rude and has had complaints about his negative behaviors and angry outbursts by former co-workers. He avoids leaving his home as much as possible due to his emotional liability, paranoia, phobias, inability to tolerate people for any period of time, becoming easily irritated and manage conflict. His level of distress is elevated to the point of his experiencing memory impairment as well as an inability to focus or concentrate often resulting in the inability to safely complete tasks once he starts them. Mr. XXXXXX has chronic violent thoughts, and is working diligently in group and individual therapy to address these issues and practice good coping skills. The severe symptoms he experiences solely as a result of his combat-related service connected PTSD condition make any level of substantially gainful employment very unlikely at this time.

I hereby certify that the information I have given is true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I think I would concentrate on the TDIU. You can worry about the TBI after you get TDIU. If you were subjected to daily explosions and have that documentation I think I would let those facts speak for themselves unless you can prove you hit your head in the fall. In fact, you don't know for sure that the explosions did not cause the TBI.

That is true I suppose. One of the C&P exams I have this week is for the TBI...Guess I'll bring the post-deployment checklist from my unit's medical department with me to the exam. It's the only in-service documentation I have that specifically mentions I was present and within 100 yds of daily explosions while in Iraq. Great advice...Thank you for your reply!

Loose Cannon

If you can get any buddy statements that witnessed the fall would help your claim substantially, but like John said, I would concentrate on the TDIU first. The reason I say that is because your SMR doesn't reflect anything mentioned about the fall, and without that, your probably looking at a long fight with va trying to prove it. Your MH Dr wrote up a perty good statement for an increase on the PTSD and that might be good enough for the rater to infer your claim for TDIU. In your case I see you asked for it, and that was smart of you because alot of times the rater doesn't infer it automatically when something isn't in your records stating your SC disabilities has made you unemployable. I believe it was John999 that filed for TDIU at 30% and eventually got it, so hang in there.

Also, make sure whatever you send to the va you send it certified w/return receipt. They have a habit losing evidence.

Yeah...My SMR has pleanty of stuff about the fall but unfortunately it all deals with the finger being dislocated. No mention of a possible concussion...until testing for it at the VA Hospital 4 years after USMC retirement and diagnosis. Hope the TDIU claim gets the serious "look" I believe it deserves by the VA rater...fingers crossed!

Loose Cannon