VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will Pension Claim Slow Compensation Claim

dereekbanks

I have a new claim for SC PTSD that has been in the development phase for a couple of months now. I just learned about the VA Pension. If I file a claim for pension, will it slow my claim for compensation or does the pension claims go through a different route.

I ask because I don't want to see my compensation claim move into the decision phase then get moved back to development because I filed a pension claim.

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/pension/vetpen.htm

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/rates/pen01.htm

This website is the site for income thresholds. If your income is below that threshold you may have a chance. You can deduct recurring medical expenses ( ins/Medicare)/ not prescriptions ( you can trim those in yearly accumulative). Next is wartime svc. Must have one day of wartime svc. 90 days of svc before sept 1980 or two years active after 1980 or completion of required active duty ( if less than two years after 1980). If you are under 65 a rating needs to be made ( unless already in receipt of ssda). Net worth has to be under $80000. Other than that it wouldn't hurt to file.

NOTE: if married this includes wife income and expenses

Jmo

Edited by T8r

Carlie is right- if you have a solid SC PTSD claim, and sent them whatever they wanted in their VCAA letter to you- that would boost your comp anyhow.

They will use the new PTSD criteria (in our PTSD forum) for yur current PTSD claim.

From my understanding the VA will pay whichever is higher, compensation or pension, but not both.

According to the Pension table shown here,http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/pen01.htm, a vet with one dependent receives $15,493 plus $2,020 for each additional child. I have a wife and 4 children.

That equates to $23,573 or $1,964 per month.

In order to receive that amount in compensation I would have to be rated at 90%. I don't think the VA will rate me at 90% without a fight.

I don't mind fighting for it, but I would like to receive more than the $736 a month I am receiving now while I am fighting for that higher percentage.

I have no other income. Does anyone know if compensation is counted as income? Even if it is. . .

$736 a month = $8,832 per year

If you deduct this amount from the pension amount I would receive, $23,573 - $8,832 = $14,741

$14,741 divided by 12 = $1,228 which is still almost double what I receive now.

T8r yes, I served over two years after 9/11 active duty and my wife has no income.

So based on all of the above, income wise, I should qualify right?

And back to my original question; Would a pension claim, slow down my compensation claim?