VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I was denied my claim for High Blood Pressure and Cholestarol, VA has recently put me on both meds and I am filing a NOD for the two. Since VA prescribed the MEDS how do I go about filing a NOD for those/ these two claims.

vet20210

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Humor me, what does the VA prescribing meds have to do with the condition being service connected. Did you have the condition while on active duty or within a year of discharge. The VA hospital has no connection to the VA Regional Office. They are two different organizations.

• HadIt.com Elder

So far having high cholesterol is not a disease. It may be a symptom of a disease process. If you have HBP and high cholesterol don't smoke whatever you do. It is a potentially fatal combination. If you have evidence of heart disease and HBP in your SMR's you file a NOD on the denial.

I was denied my claim for High Blood Pressure and Cholestarol, VA has recently put me on both meds and I am filing a NOD for the two. Since VA prescribed the MEDS how do I go about filing a NOD for those/ these two claims.

vet20210

What are your service connected disabilities?

Can your High Blood Pressure be linked to any of your service connected disabilities by a physicians' medical opinion and rationale?

If you do not have SMRs or medical records within one year of discharge that proves you had/have High Blood Pressure than the only thing you can do is try to link your HBP to one of your already service connected conditions.

If my memory serves me well, you are SC for depression. If I'm correct on that, your HBP can be claimed as secondary due to your depression. The DSM IV criteria lists depression as causes to hypertension (HBP).

Not sure about the cholestarol. You might be able to talk to your Dr. to see if he/she can tie this in with your HBP as well.

Now I think about it, aren't you SC for a shit full of disabilities? Please excuse me if I'm wrong.

Also, I am still within the on year mark, I retired in OCt 2010 however I didn't receive my VA benefits until Feb 2011. What date will my one year begin, Oct 2010 or Feb 2011?

vet2010