VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mood Disorder To Include Depression

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hey I was wondering I just had a C/P for depression secondary to my SC back which I claimed a chronic pain issue are they all rated together or seperate? I am waiting to see what the raters will do. I am leary of the raters as most of the ones I have had ignore what surgeons and Doctors say and I believe that they (raters) will decide based on their opinion not my Doctors. Anyone got an idea? I just got off the phone with the VARO telling them that I was going out of state to find a place to live and I would not have acess to my PO Box should they send anything in the next two weeks. I have tried sending messages to VA within the system IRIS but I can never get one through. I am also writing a letter to them as well and asking for a signature upon receipt. I have heard way too many times a veteran gets the shaft when he never recivied the letter or hearing notice.

I got my C/P results back and the Mental health Doc put my GAF score at 50 but stated I had the ability to handle my own money. I do not know what the GAF score means I looked it up and again it is based on the raters. I am going ahead and move before the cold weather gets here this fall. It looks like Arizona or Texas just not sure yet.

Thanks have a good day

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

om,

"Thanks I had put in for depression from my SC back and citing Chronic pain. I did not know that they are 2 seperate issue"

The way I am understanding your issue is that:

1) you are SC'd for your back

2) you have chronic pain from your SC'd back disability

3) your chronic pain has caused you the secondary disability of depression

(because of pain you feel you can't do the things needed in your daily life -

you can't stand up long enough to cook - do laundry - sit in a car long for a road trip,

stand in the shower long enough to cleanse yourself, etc...

om,

"Thanks I had put in for depression from my SC back and citing Chronic pain. I did not know that they are 2 seperate issue"

The way I am understanding your issue is that:

1) you are SC'd for your back

2) you have chronic pain from your SC'd back disability

3) your chronic pain has caused you the secondary disability of depression

(because of pain you feel you can't do the things needed in your daily life -

you can't stand up long enough to cook - do laundry - sit in a car long for a road trip,

stand in the shower long enough to cleanse yourself, etc...

Exactly from what you wrote you must have had back trouble or lived with someone who has. I have tried living by myself just cannot do it anymore without help My surgeon filled out the A/A forms and the help from my family

is stretched about as far as it can go. I am moving somewhere warmer year round the summers for me are better but other than mild fall weather I am done.

I am trying moving to warmer climate and giving my family a break. I leave first thing Friday and will be gone about a month to find a place where I can get along better, Thanks I hate the thought of living in the city or a subdivision but with my back and other problems I have to look at moving somewhere for the winter.

I am flying out and looking for a winter place I can still have a better life than last winter. Thanks Carlie I will post where I wind up and what the claim runs out to be. I thank all of you for the help.

I got my C/P results back and the Mental health Doc put my GAF score at 50 but stated I had the ability to handle my own money.

Thanks have a good day

om,

What else did the C&P examiner state in the opinion area ?

om,

What else did the C&P examiner state in the opinion area ?

This is what was at the end of the letter. Everything listed is what I am SC for my hardest to deal with is my back and Migraines. The heart I can do nothing about but watch what I eat and try to move around regulary and not become bed ridden or lay around watching TV. Moving is hard so I try to go swiming as much as I can.

" Diagnostic Impressions: Mood disorder due to general medical conditions, Degenerative disc Disease (SC) Degenerative joint disease (SC) hypertensive heart Disease (SC) hypertensive retinopathy (SC) . Axis II no Diagnosis

AXIS III Migraines (SC) Dejenerative joint disease (SC) Degenerative Disc Disease (SC) Hypertension (SC) Hypertensive Vascular Disease (SC) AXIS IV No diagnosis Axis V Gaf score 50.

Diagnosis this Veteran is Presenting with mood disorder which is more likely than not related to his multiple medical conditions as described above. These are directly related to the pain and physical limitations associated with

these disorders. currently his Physciatric presentation is resulting in moderate impairment in social functioning and moderate imparement in occupational functioning. His overall level of disability is moderate. The veteran is able to manage his funds."

I knew I have issues and worry about things to that just keep rolling over and over in the back of my mind but after this exam I was told that no more exams were scheduled as the VA had all of my forms for A/A and for my other claims for IU and P&T. I have been struggling with a lot of things here lately so this was it. I hope I am done with the VA for a while. Now if can find a decent place to winter over I am looking forward to some rest. Have a good weekend.

If no one cares to ask what those situations are, it can hardly be called a controversy, now can it?

As for bait and bs is that something that doesn't follow the party line?

This is kinda like the Republican pre-election 'debate' last Monday ... when any of the contestants dared make a comment that wasn't in line with the talking points of the "sponsors", they were booed by the Peanut Gallery.

Interested,

You are welcome to come here and provide help or even vent

BUT

do not start throwing in bait and bs - to get arguments going.