VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Date

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

Finally I received my letter informing me of a hearing date with an alj. I was wondering what advice if any that you can share about how to deal with it. What to expect is it adversarial like a C&P exam. I am told there will be a vocational expert there. I'd like to know what job she says I can do where you can pass out and have seizures. Its not til December so I can feel my anxiety building already. Thanks in advance.

/doc

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

navy,

Is SSA aware of all medical issues that VA granted IU for?

Yes they are aware of my SC issues for IU which was 70% for MDD with anxiety and agoraphobia. They responded by saying that they don't have to agree with other agencies. My passing out/ seizures is not SC.

Doc,

From what I've heard, the ALJ is not a harsh environment.

1. Have you asked the attorney to ask for an On The Record decision? (Then you don't have to appear at ALJ if you're successful. CLICK HERE )

2. Do you have a statement from a doctor that you can't perform any type of work for at least 1 year?

3. Do you have Residual Functional Capacity forms filled out by a doctor?

More good info here:

Fanaticbooks' site

This is a law suit; prepare like your life depends on it.

Good luck! :smile:

navy,

Is SSA aware of all medical issues that VA granted IU for?

Yes they are aware of my SC issues for IU which was 70% for MDD with anxiety and agoraphobia. They responded by saying that they don't have to agree with other agencies. My passing out/ seizures is not SC.

Hopefully the judge will have enough sense to realize that people diagnosed

with agoraphobia don't do much leaving the house.

• HadIt.com Elder

As a person with agoraphobia who has talked to others we can be rather strange. In the 90's I knew a agoraphobic Doc I met on Prodigy. He trusted me enough to tell me his real name and the VA he worked for but he could go places as long as he had 2 cell phones with him and would not ride on elevators.

I can leave home if I go with a family member or close friend or my dog. I also have some tools that help me. If I feel an attack coming on I take a xanax and get by myself. If I go to a movie which I do less and less I have to be with someone I trust and I have to sit on aisle. If I get upset I leave theatre and wait till its over. I know people who can't go over bridges, can't leave home for any reason but the sum of it all is that an agoraphobic is a person who lives by rituals to avoid triggers that set off a panic attack.

For those who have never suffered panic attacks its like going into a dark room and when you get light you are 2 inches from a giant tiger or a monster and no way to get out.

Over the years I have done impossible things and been defeated by something as simple as going to the grocery store.

Doc, Hang in there, I went through this in 2005 after a massive heart attack and all the paperwork from the doctors stating I only had 40% of my heart left,

SSA denied me twice, they basically deny everyone, my lawyer handled everything the judge looked at me and said, how the hell did they deny you not only

once but twice, we were there a total of 10 minutes and he told me not to worry. Point is make sure you have a good Lawyer and he has all your paperwork.

Good Luck!!!