VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Transient Ischemic Attack (Micro/minni Strokes)

Rate this question

chiefhouse00

Question

Greetings

I may have ask this question before but don't know for sure. I have a history of mirco strokes and would like to know how I can get it service connected. CT scan and MRI of my brain showed that I have a history of micro strokes...a surprize and scare to me. I submitted a claim but the VA denied it saying it was not service connected. What should I do next?

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I answered that question in detail here on Sept 18th.

No TIAs cannot be rated.

They are symptoms of something that could possibly have SC potential.

I answered that question in detail here on Sept 18th.

No TIAs cannot be rated.

They are symptoms of something that could possibly have SC potential.

Thanks Berta

I missed or didn't understand when I read your 18 Sep post. Can TIA's lead to other aliments that can be rated I don't want to wait until I have a stroke to file a claim.

By the way, I received a notice today informing me of another C&P scheduled for 28 Sep. I don't know what this one is for.

Again, thanks for your advice.

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

TIAs are serious business.

They contributed to my husband's death because the VA failed to properly diagnose and treat the condition that caused them.

In your case you have the proper diagnosis.

What did the VA say caused the TIAs?

How is the VA treating the cause to prevent further TIAs or major CVA?

The cause could be something service connectable.

More importantly -the cause, with proper treatment, will stave off more serious disability (or death)

If the VA knows the cause of these TIAs and fails to treat the cause, then that is basis for a Section 1151 claim.

I feel you need a good vet rep who can take the time to look over your medical records.

The TIAs (as I proved in my recent claim) in my husband's case were directly due to his undiagnosed and untreated DMII.

They could be claimed as secondary to your DMII claim but you need to fulfill the Thailand criteria regarding AO claims.

The fairly new Thailand VA directive is here. I will bump it up in the AO forum.

MANY Thailand vets have succeeded with the vast info on the net ( as well as links here at hadit) that helped them prove they were exposured by their MOS and TDY (sch as guard duty) to AO on base perimeters in Thailand.

If you have a vet rep, they should be up on all that info.

If not- you need to find a much better vet rep.

Here is the VA Thailand bulletin in this thread. There is plenty more info regarding this available at hadit under a search.:

Greetings

The VA has confirmed that I have DMII (currently being treated with Metformin 1500 mg AM / 1000 mg PM and Glyburide 10 mg since 2006) and Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy of the lower and upper extremities but have not rated them service connected. My last major TIA, when I was admitted to the hospital emergency center) my blood sugar was 399. The VA concluded that my DMII may have been the sole cause for my micro stroke but still denied my claim. As mentioned earlier, I have an appeal for DMII and severe joint space loss with subchondral sclerosis, cystic change and marked marginal osteophytosis at the first MTP joints which also were denied in an earlier claim. As a gas passer (no fun intended) I delivered fuel everywhere (perimeter, flightline, chow halls, hospital support tanks) at NKP and Korat base in Thailand from 1970 to 1973, but that cliam was also denied by the VA. As you can see, I have a long fight ahead to win my cases. Your listening ear and advice are very helpful.

Best Regards

Chiefhouse