VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Transient Ischemic Attack (Micro/minni Strokes)

Rate this question

chiefhouse00

Question

Greetings

I may have ask this question before but don't know for sure. I have a history of mirco strokes and would like to know how I can get it service connected. CT scan and MRI of my brain showed that I have a history of micro strokes...a surprize and scare to me. I submitted a claim but the VA denied it saying it was not service connected. What should I do next?

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

JMHO: A TIA (I've had three now) won't be rated because as the name implies: it's a temporary event, not a condition. As Berta stated, find/treat the root cause ASAP. It looks as though you've done that. Also, you can claim the effects, although I've not done this yet. I was left with numbness in the front of my right leg, face and right side of the tongue. It's more of an inconvenience, but if you're left with other lingering effects, I would go for it. I've complained about the residual effects to my neurologist for two years now, and I know she's documented them. I'm waiting until other claims have cleared and the two issues on appeal are completed - unless of course I have another and other residuals pop up. Also, I was told by the neurologist that if you've had one, you will have more and they may become more frequent. The fact that you're incapacitated for days or weeks (in my case) at a time is disabling as well but it's another effect of the TIA. Best of luck, and I pray you don't have any more!

Greetings

Here are the results of my last MRI:

MRI Brain with and without IV Contrast [sep 2009] Findings: There is mild to moderate diffuse brain parenchymal atrophy with commensurate enlargement of the intra and extra axial CSF-containing spaces. There are multiple small left greater than right bilateral basal ganglia and bilateral supratentorial white matter lacunar infarcts…chronic microvascular ischemic disease.

To me this is more of a serious disease of my brain which may be causing the TIAs. I'm scheduled to do another MRI and CP Scan next month, and see a neurologist. Any good advice/comments.

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

• HadIt.com Elder

I see that you are service connected for Hypertension.

Strokes, regardless of their severity can be secondary to that condition. Many Docs would nexus TIA's to that in my opinion.

Do you have an IMO for that condition?

J

That is a good point John- so the TIAs (not ratable) could potentially be at least SCed to the SC HBP in the event this became a more serious disorder.

Reading the MRI, this certainly shows that they could also be due to the DMII as they are consistent with diabetic vascular brain disease but this vet has to prove AO exposure in Thailand so your suggestion is great.

In my opinion ( due to the research and IMOs I got for my last claim), a IMO from a neuro would most likely focus on the TIA -DMII link and that will not help this vet until he can prove exposure to AO in Thailand.

The VA in a past post here has already conceded that the TIAs are likely from the DMII :

"The VA concluded that my DMII may have been the sole cause for my micro stroke but still denied my claim."

One thing I think Chiefhouse should do is go through the med recs carefully to see if VA diagnosed and treated his DMII properly before he had these mini strokes.

If all else fails that would be basis for a Section 1151 claim.

As all here know, I was awarded a claim like that last year.Direct SC for untreated and undiagnosed DMII.

Diabetes is one of the most misdiagnosed conditions in the USA.

Often it isnt even diagnosed until a person has a TIA, CVA or heart attack.

However (as I proved to VA, there was evidence of DMII long before my husband died in his VA med recs.)

But No diagnosis at all and I missed considering this additional condition when I FTCAed them.

A proper diagnosis early on (and even during their cover up of his IHD) with proper treatment would have prevented the multiple TIAS, CVA, IHD he had as well as his untimely death.

It was a lot of work and research. Before I even paid for 2 IMOs I made sure I had a solid claim.

The VA saves lives everyday and does not set out to harm or be negligent with any vet.

However knowing diabetes is often misdiagnosed until major consequences occur, this is something you might consider, Chiefhouse.

BTW- HBP can often be difficult to get SC for-and I missed seeing that in your posts- how did you get the SC for the HBP?

Was it noted in your SMRs?

Greetings

Yes! I was service connected for HBP several years before I retired from military service in 1999 after 30 years of service. I'm going to pursue every measure to get properly treated and rated for my service connected conditions. I have three medical appointmens scheduled for next month by the VA to further diagnose my TIA and PN conditions. Also, I provided medical records for stomach pain while TDY to NPK Thailand in 1970 plus duty records for being stationed at Korat Thailand in 1972 timeframe. And as always I appreciate your advice.

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

Greetings

Just completed another C&P examine last week for a skin rash condition (currently rated 30%) that the VA is considering downgrading to 10% because the skin rash condition was noted as clearing up during a C&P examine last year. Well, I'm still using the same prescribed Hydrocortisone (Cortaid Eq.) Cream 1% Topical and Hydrocortisone Valerate (Westcort Eq.) Cream 0.2% Topical daily for this skin condition since 2006. Can they still reduce my rating. I'm still trying to build my case for TIA...scheduled for CT Scan and Neurologist appointment this month. I'll keep you posted...need lots of patience and determination. Again, thanks for your advice and support.

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

Edited by chiefhouse00