VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just With Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Wallace34

Question

I was woundering what my husband would get with just the PTSD claim for the VA I am going to attatch the copies for you to review of course without the personal info on it. He has been in the military for a little over 14 years and has reached his RCP date what ever that is and they wont let him reenlist but he has changed alot with his moods and everything for the worst I am sorry to say but he can't remember alot of things but this has been occuring starting from his Iraq deployment but he has been on 7 deployments 3 of which have been combat deployments. He doesnt like taking pills he will not go to the BH here on post he thinks that they are always talking to other people about him and he dont want that to happen he wont go to group places you sholuld see me try to get him to go to family reunions (its like trying to get some one to a dentist) I dont know how the VA works I am hoping that they will take care of him since he gave alot to his country I am hoping that they wont do to him like they did to the Nam-VET's and treat them in shitty hospitals and just forget about them. That is all I know just from reading about it. Please if some on can point me in the right direction my husband told me that this is a great site for info like this and he seems to like it and tole me to give it a try so I am. Thanks for all of your help in advance.

post-11914-0-63823500-1316439472_thumb.j

post-11914-0-59517400-1316439481_thumb.j

post-11914-0-39927500-1316439489_thumb.j

post-11914-0-61369100-1316439495_thumb.j

post-11914-0-97896400-1316439501_thumb.j

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I am sorry I dont mean to sound like a stuck up B___ with my only concern is about being how long this is going to take or how my he will get for his disability % he has always tryed to tell me that he is ahead of the game and on the ball I know what it means in civilian terms but I only think it means the same thing in military terms, I am just trying to "stay ahead of the game" for him and make sure that I know what is about to come and see if I can head anything off before it gets here if that makes any sence? Again I am sorry if I made it sound like I was a bad person but I am realy truly just trying to look out for my veteran. But I will keep that phone number close by I think I have been pritty lucky so far I have been able to talk to him and he also talks to my father whom is a veteran also as well as a principal/ teacher so he feels comfertable talking to him. Again I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression I ddi not mean too and I hope to keep gathering more information as days go by

"I am sorry I dont mean to sound like a stuck up B___"

If it makes you feel any better, as far as what I been reading here, I haven't seen any "ill-mannerism" at all!

All I see is a wife of a veteran trying her best to seek help for her vet husband. He's a very lucky man to have you by his side!

The best thing that you can right now is listen to Berta's advice. By the way you are describing your husbands mental health issues, you really should be seeking treatment for him right away! If you don't mind me saying so, you yourself should also seek a Dr's advice to learn how to cope with your husbands disability so it doesn't take a toll on you and your family. It really does help to learn how to deal with your own emotions, as well as, how to adjust the atmosphere for a healthy comfort zone in your own home. JMO

I also feel you have a good TDIU claim in the making as well.

I wish the best of luck for you and your vet.

Coot

Cooter made the point more diplomatic than I did and I apologize for that.

I worked in a Vet Center with the PTSD veterans and was married to a PTSD vet.

So I truly can appreciate how difficult your life can get and was probably having a flashback myself over a few things you mentioned.

My neighbor confiscated my husband's weapons at some point and refused to return them until VA said it was OK.

He had no suicidal ideation at all.The only person he threatened was me.

Cooter said: "you yourself should also seek a Dr's advice to learn how to cope with your husbands disability so it doesn't..."

This is VERY good advise.

I was asked to come to many therapy sessions my husband had with his VA shrink.(there were problems with that as you might imagine so some sessions I was alone at).

Also a few years ago a PTSD vet's wife started a PTSD meeting for spouses of PTSD vets and the local VA let us use their community room for the meetings.

I went to a few start up meetings and they were very good. The woman who started them was also in the MH field and she did a great job.She herself was overwhelmed by how PTSD was affecting her entire family.

It didn't take much to begin this group- a phone number on flyers I helped her post around the area and a promise that all who attended would be anonymous.24 spouses came to the first meeting - more then expected because this area has a VAMC but is primarily farm country.

There might be possibly be something like that in your area.

I forgot to mention that my neighbor who works for the Suicide hot line is also a disabled OIF OEF vet so he can relate well to any calls he gets on veteran's problems and many phone people at the hot line are veterans as well.

I know you are truly concerned and thinking of his best interests.

I feel I need to remove myself from this thread because some stuff here did upset me (not because of you )

and my husband only began receiving proper PTSD care when I got my Congressman involved.

PTSD is a vicious and what I consider an almost psychically 'contagious' disease.

Honorable men and women with PTSD sometimes do not even realize the extent of the heartache they cause.

This got a big laugh from the doc when I met my husband's shrink for the first time.

The doc shook my and and said "Berta, I am Dr. XXXX, Chief of Psychology at the Bath VA."

And I replied, "Glad to meet you doctor. I am Berta Simmons, the veteran's blame target."

(Luckily Rod didnt hear that)

I apologize if I was too tough here.If he is in the BDD program (sounds like he is because he had the C &Ps already, the comp should not take too long to come.

BDD Benefits Discharge Delivery there are discussions here that can be searched on more info on that.

Thank you all so much for your help. I am sorry that I took all that the wrong way I am not used to this but as we (My hubby and I) go along with this I will learn more. As for me seeing a shrink I think it would be interestign I am getting a masters in psychology just so you all know I have made a promise to my husband that I will not dig into his head but I did tell him that I will be there for him when he needs me. Back to the point I just think it would be funny a psycologist seeing a shrink :D I know it has happened in the past many times I just think it is funny because my hubby brought it up a couple of times in the past and here it is again here hahahahaha.

Cooter,

What do you mean I have a good TDIU claim in the makign also I am nto sure what that is or even how it works, I have heard of it before has somthing to do with ??Individual Unemployment I am nto sure why I would be able to claim it and my hubby finaly gets out of the army on the 28th of this month how do I go about making sure he gets that because I dont think he can work just for the fack he dont like being around people I draged him to the store yesterday and he was jittery and on guard the whole time I asked him waht was wrong and he said that he didnt trust the people that were there and one guy got to close and he almost turned around and hit him but I seen what was going on and I pushed him to go to another isle. I know he needs to see some one abotu this but he wont go to the people on base because he doesnt trust them I guess when ever he is done with his session the shrinks or some one go back and talk to the people in his unit about everything. right now I am planning on trying to get him to draw unemployment until he gets the VA letter but what else can I do I have read that I can do an SSD claim but I am not sure how to do that one eather I just dont knwo what i am supposed to do except be here for him I guess I need alot of help myself . But thank you all for helping thus far

My wag is SC'd at 50 - 70 or 100 percent and probably not P&T for awhile.

If I've understood this right he was diagnosed with PTSD while still on active duty

is this correct ? Is or will the discharge be for medical due to his PTSD ?

If yes, then that's supposed to be an automatic 50 % or more from the day

following separation.

JMHO

Carlie,

first off it is nice to hear from you my husband tells me that you are a realy good source of information from what he tries to read and I would like to say thank you for being an inspiration to all the veterans that need help.

"My wag is SC'd at 50 - 70 or 100 percent and probably not P&T for awhile" I dont know what you mean by this I am sorry but I dont know alot about this stuff yet, and I am unable to read threw the lines.

Yes he was diagnosed with PTSD while in the military but he is getting a JBK code for his seperation from what I understand is an involuntary seperation code and he is also getting an Honorable discharge with that.