VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wrong Diagnosis?

Rate this question

c-vet1982

Question

I have a very complex case as I was diagnosed with Schizophrenic Reaction Paranoid type back in 1981-1982. I had fallen off my double-bunk bed a few days before complete with my ear gashed, I was e-vaced to a psych-ward and given mass amounts of anti-psychotic drugs Haldol & Cogentin just to name a few in my C-File my observing doctors could not come up with a prognosis either subdural Hematoma (brain-Injury) or psychosis. In my C-File it was decided that in view of suspicion if head injury continued observation of focal neurological sings was recommended but the psychotic diagnosis remained . My point is I feel that I was misdiagnosed & I have stated this in my claim. I have multiple symptoms indicative of PTSD, Depression, Anger, Sleep-Apnea, Apathy, grinding my teeth extreme fatigue. I have a TBI screening coming up pending the outcome I am hoping for a rating, I also have no explaination why or how I missed my last evaluation in 1984. I was pretty messed up then like I am now and possibly denial which is a symptom of TBI...bu

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Did you ever claim the schizophrenia?

Any psychosis that manifests itself in service or is at least at 10% disabling within one year of service (by medical evidence)is fully service connectable under the Chronic Presumptive regs.

They are here:

Yes, I have all symptoms listed. In my C-file it shows i was given 10% but i missed an appointment i honestly do not know why but in my file shows i was in complete denial but my wife kept telling me to submit a claim which I finally did after almist 30 years. I spent most of yesterday going over my file again man ehat a nightmare being in psych wards for months i start shaking thinking about it no words no words...Haldol, Cogentin, OMG somebody shake me from that nightmare...I have my TBI thing this friday i am scared cannot explain just too horrific...

The retro date is usually based on the date they received the claim but I assume they dropped the 10% because you failed to report to a C & P or failed to appeal the reduction....?

You might have a chance for more retro then the new re- opened claim date if there were newly discovered medical records that should have warranted a higher rating then 10%

That regulation is here searchable under Newly Discovered Service Records.

As it looks to me however your retro will go back to the date you re opened this claim and I hope you provided them with New and Material Evidence. N & M evidence is also searchable here.It sounds like proof of the hospitalization alone would satisfy the N & M requirement of that came after they reduced for the psychosis claim.

"I also have no explanation why or how I missed my last evaluation in 1984." That could have been due to your psychosis but

from what I see here you did not appeal the decision.

Are you employed? If not do you get SSDI benefits? and if you do, what is the SSDI award for?