VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bankruptcy And Va Benifits

Rate this question

jeancollie

Question

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I doubt that they could take it since it is VA compensation, and for the fact that you have already been in the chapetr 13 process, it will be up to you if you want to use the retro to pay off early, unless you have a goverment debt in the bankruptcy.

I would consult the lawer who did the chapter 13 for you just to make sure of the language, the old system was changed under the new and improved version of bankruptcy law.

• HadIt.com Elder

Why did you do chapter 13 instead of chapter 7? Chapter 7 wipes out all your debts. It is honorable to try and pay back debts but if you puts you into poverty I think you might consider Chapter 7.

Why did you do chapter 13 instead of chapter 7? Chapter 7 wipes out all your debts. It is honorable to try and pay back debts but if you puts you into poverty I think you might consider Chapter 7.

I tried to file a 7 but they converted it to a Chapter 13. They said we made to much money.

Thanks

I doubt that they could take it since it is VA compensation, and for the fact that you have already been in the chapetr 13 process, it will be up to you if you want to use the retro to pay off early, unless you have a goverment debt in the bankruptcy.

I would consult the lawer who did the chapter 13 for you just to make sure of the language, the old system was changed under the new and improved version of bankruptcy law.

I filed under the old law. I don't owe the goverment. I don't want to pay off early. The lump sum is like $20000.00 and I need it because I may have to quit my job because of my disabilities. The only reason I am still working is because I would lose everything. (Home,car,boat,ATV Ect.) The VA has told me I could file for unemployability and get it. But because I am in a Chapter 13 I don't want them to convert me back to a Chapter 7 because it would be under the new law and I don't want to lose everything.

I just don't know what to do...... :unsure: My lawyer gives me the answer I don't think they can take it. I just want to know for sure... Thanks for your reply.

Talk to your lawyer.

I did and he said he thought I could keep it. I really don't think he knows... But it is to late to find a new lawyer. I just thought someone maybe has run into this before and could help me out....... Thanks 4 your reply. :unsure: