VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Out Of Trazodone

Rate this topic

I just saw my psychiatrist last week. She renewed all my meds as usual, one being trazodone. I received all of my psych meds within a week of my appt; all except the trazodone. I called the pharmacy yesterday and was told it was on back order, they didn't have any in supply. She also told me she couldn't tell me when I could expect to get any. I had two weeks worth when I went to see my psych doc; thinking that was more than enough time to get more. I am now down to my last few days and don't know what to do. My wife said today, I'm hard to get along with when I'm off my meds. I get about 5 hours of sleep with my meds, without I get about 2 hours and short naps all day which sends me into a downward spiral. I'm worried.

/doc

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Basically, you have to go back to the doc, and get him to write a prescription that you can take to a non VA pharmacy to be filled.

Getting the VA to reimburse is another story. The first part of that issue is to get the VA pharmacy to say in writing that they are out.

I'd get that first, then see the doc about the outside prescription. Also, there may be an alternative that he can prescribe, and that the VA pharmacy has.

I just saw my psychiatrist last week. She renewed all my meds as usual, one being trazodone. I received all of my psych meds within a week of my appt; all except the trazodone. I called the pharmacy yesterday and was told it was on back order, they didn't have any in supply. She also told me she couldn't tell me when I could expect to get any. I had two weeks worth when I went to see my psych doc; thinking that was more than enough time to get more. I am now down to my last few days and don't know what to do. My wife said today, I'm hard to get along with when I'm off my meds. I get about 5 hours of sleep with my meds, without I get about 2 hours and short naps all day which sends me into a downward spiral. I'm worried.

/doc

• HadIt.com Elder

I liked Chucks solution and you might even consider something else to help you sleep. Elavil or lunestra. The VA has to help you but they won't unless you make them.

I would try to contact my Psychiatrist ASAP and follow the guidance already posted.

Your Psychiatrist is not going to want a lapse in meds and may RX something BETTER/

DIFFERENT, to replace your Trazadone.

JMHO

Do all of the below, then start filing complaints for lack of proactivity on the part of the pharmacy.

This is happening far too much and adversely affecting many veterans. It's unacceptable.

Please submit a complaint to Patient Advocate, Hospital Supervisor and the IG.

You shouldn't have to chase down meds.

• HadIt.com Elder

After Shrink took away my meds because of heart problems I was up forever. I called & asked to see him & told them I needed to be on somethig more heart friendly etc. It was kinda dragging around going nowhere..one morning at 3:30 AM I was sitting around not sleeping & I got this idea to call the Socal Worker & leave her a message. I knew it would show time she got message. At 8:00 she called & made sure I was coming that day. I signed in, never sat down, into her office, into Shrink office & out door with new meds in less than hour. Her first comment to me "Mr E.. you really don't sleep,do you?" DAH what had I been telling them...Guess I'm a drama king, but anything to get this people to listen can't be all bad.

Don