VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Usps Vet Caught Swiping Meds

Rate this topic

"Ex-postal worker sentenced in theft

An ex-postal supervisor and Air Force veteran will be on probation for five years for stealing prescription medication from mail.

Mark Charles Raley, 46, of Spokane, also will pay $5,045 in restitution under a sentence imposed this week in U.S. District Court in Spokane. He pleaded guilty in May to two counts of theft of mail by a postal service employee.

Raley was a supervisor at the U.S. Postal Service Spokane Processing and Distribution Center when he became addicted to hydrocodone after gastric bypass surgery. He began sorting mail looking for Veterans Affairs packages containing hydrocodone. He wouldn’t steal any other prescription drugs, according to court documents.

Raley entered a drug treatment program offered by the VA in December shortly after being confronted about the thefts. He continues to attend drug rehab and is living in a clean-and-sober house that requires him to take random drug tests."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/sep/24/in-brief-man-arrested-in-truck-break-ins/

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 years probation for a Federal offense seems a little lenient to me. Just the fact the meds were going to a vet should of at the least given some time to think about it behind bars.

• HadIt.com Elder

When I worked for USPS people got caught for stealing all the time. They stole money orders, COD's, credit cards, loose money in envelopes and even registered mail. Most were not even prosecuted. They just fired them. One supervisor stole over a hundred thousand bucks.

• HadIt.com Elder

That doesn't surprise me, being he was a veteran and a USPS employee. Basically he was an addict and needed help. USPS probably has an employee assistance program to help him. As for the USPS just firing employees for stealing, that makes sense cuz they don't want to publicize the thefts, so that the general public is aware of their shortcomings. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

What happened to the Veterans who did not get their meds. I will tell you cause they act like the Veteran did it and are lying about not getting it.

Its funny that the only meds I have problems with aRE HYDROCODONE AND XANAX BOTH COME REGISTERED WITH A GREEN MARK WHICH LETS EVERYONE KNOW IT IS A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE,

Sorry about the CAPS but I am not going to retype it