VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Had A Hip Replacement?

Rate this topic

I have an appt. at VA Ortho on 10/11/11 to discuss having both hips replaced. I had a MRI which confirmed AVN in both Femural heads. My right hip joint has colapsed, left not for behind. Any thoughts?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was diagnosed with AVN of Right femoral head while I was in the Army in 2001.

I was 23 at the time.

Docs at fort same said total hip, BUT there is this new surgery we could do, and have never done before...

A free vascularized fibula bone graft.

I went for the test surgery. it is quite a few years later..no further bone death...or collapse. bone regenerated. I was in ficat state 3.

No known cause...

I was obviously medically discharged...

I am rated 90% with iu.

I have review comp and pen tomorrow! EEK!

When does it end!!?? Its coming on 10 years I have been at this rating...

don't they get sick of seeing me, I am only getting older.

My bone is holding strong..but have lots of chronic pain...

What is your question...and how old are you?

That's odd Sabrina, I was just reading your post about you up coming exam. I'm 44, I fell and hurt my back and right leg during Desert Storm. I kept having trouble with my Lumbar spine and right hip. I had a bone scan in 1994 which was positive for signs of a femural head fracture and AVN. Ortho Doc's at the VA suspected I had AVN and would eventualy need a hip replacement. The next year I went back on an active reserve tour in Germany. I had a bone scan there which came up negative for anything regarding my hip. So the VA ortho doc's ruled out AVN and diagnosed SI joint pain for which I am now service connected.

Fast forward to 2010: I have a Lumbar fusion L2-S1 for DDD and spinal stenosis. Mostly to aleviate the pain radiating into my hip and down my right leg. I improved for about 3 months post surgery. Then bam! Both my legs started hurting really bad. 15 months go by with me complaining and my spine surgeon wanting to do another revision of my fusion. Finally I have had enough and get a second opinion from a respected neurosurgeon. He orders an Myelogram of my lower spine and pelvis. And guess what? I have AVN in both of my femural heads and the right hip joint has colapsed!

Now I am in awful pain which morpine doesn't seem to help much. I'm having to use a walker to get around until I can get this surgery scheduled. And best of all I am not service connected for AVN in my hips because they change there opinion in 1995. So I service connected for SI joint problems that I may not even really have. Sorry I went on a rant. My question was about general info on hip replacemt surgery. You know, what it like , how long is recovery...etc. I was hoping a member had gone through this recently. Thanks for asking. Sorry you got the long answer.

I do know that you should feel soooo much better after a THR....and I think they get you up and moving right away. I have friends that have had one...and it was life changing.

As far as service connection...you should be connected for the AVN right?

My docs at Brooke Army Medical...misdiagnosed me for quite some time...saying it was just a femoral neck stress fracture...FINALLY they gave me a bone scan and MRI....and the MRI showed it.

So the MRI didn't show yours??

I know xrays don't pick it up at all...

by the sounds of it, you should be 100%!!!

Keep me posted...

I have been dealing with the VA for almost 10 years now...and i still find myself clueless as far as navigating the system, and how it all works..ugh!

Warmly,

Sabrina