VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Did I Make A Mistake

Rate this question

Fiddler

Question

A little back ground. After Desert Storm, I spent the first decade denying something was wrong and steadly getting worse. Finally I went to see a private shrink, told him how I was feeling and he said I had sever Social Anxiety Disorder. (Didn't mention anything about my combat experiance, still didn't want to believe that could be it I guess.) After about two years I started seeing a VA shrink and continued be treated for sever Social Anxiety Disorder. In about 2008 or 2009 I finally told, maybe my 6th VA shrink (they seem to come and go real fast) about my combat experiance and asked about PTSD & disability, because since I got out of the Army in 1993, I have worked maybe a total of two years, and ten minutes later he said that I did have PTSD and gave me the paperwork to file for it.

A few months ago, I finally got it filled out and sent in. (yes about two years to work up the nerve to do it. I can sit for thirty minutes with the phone in my hand before I can work up the nerve to order a pizza) and last week I schedualed C&P notice. After searching the internet for what a C&P exam was, and finding this site and some othersI have come to some conclusions.

1. You must first be diagnosed with PTSD from a VA shrink, send in your paperwork, and go to a C&P exam to have the VA diagnosis confirmed.

2. An initial diagnosis can take up to two hours with 3 or 4 tests involved

So basically, I'm not sure I have a VA shrink diagnosis of PTSD since I only talked to him for about ten minutes and he said yes, and the only test he gave me was to repeat five words five minutes after he told them to me. So my question is, am i screwed? My C&P is this Friday and I don't think I have time to call my VA clinic and get in for a proper diagnosis.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Fiddler the General Medical is standard SOP because it appears this is your first contact with the VA via your claim?

No trickery there.

SOP.

Well, I just got back from my C&P, and from reading others accounts about their C&P where they lasted for hours leaving them feeling like a wet rag wrung out and hung up to dry, I'm at a loss for words. From the time he asked me to come into his office to the time he ushered me out took only 13 minutes. No tests, like to determine a GAF score or anything like what I was expecting from see other peoples C&P results that are posted on here. At the end he asked me if I had any questions for him and i was to dumbfounded to thing of any. He asked about my stresser, my social life, employment, anger issues, and a few other things I can't remember now, but all he seemed to want were short answers. If I tried to expand on it and add some context to the answer, he seemed to want me to just rush through it and get on to the next question. And I thought this might not be so bad when I saw from the diplomas on his wall that he use to be a psychiatrist in the Army +1 for me, but now I'm not so sure. Although he did say I had symptoms of PTSD, I was left feeling like he didn't actually say I had PTSD. Hell, with us standing in the door, him with his hand out for me to shack, I was still trying to think of things to throw at him like how I'm doing good if I shower and brush my teeth once a month. Guess I need to go ahead and get my NOD started for the impending claims denial. I don't see anything good coming from that. All of those weeks of gut wrenching anxiety for nothing.

Edited by Fiddler

One more question. Is it one week before I can request a copy of the C&P exam or two, and can I request it trough my VA outpatient clinic or does it have to be through the VARO? The clinic is an hour a way from me while the VARO is almost three. And at what time period should I request a copy of my C-file?

Thanks again.

One more question. Is it one week before I can request a copy of the C&P exam or two, and can I request it trough my VA outpatient clinic or does it have to be through the VARO? The clinic is an hour a way from me while the VARO is almost three. And at what time period should I request a copy of my C-file?

Thanks again.

I surely WOULD NOT request a copy of the C-file at this time.

If the C&P WAS DONE at the VAMC - I WOULD go to ROI at

the VAMC and request a copy of the C&P exams.

They may print them out for you on the spot.

JMHO