VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Attorney: Soldier Faked Injuries

pacmanx1

Here's another little tidbit to the story.

Apparently the veteran did have medical evidence of PTSD from his deployment but the

VA denied his claim for SC. The vet then responded by making up some lies to help support the claim

and this is where the problem began.

We had a post recently, where for SSA purposes, someone was advised to beef up a claim

and I advised to never try to beef up a claim, referring to both VA or SSA claims.

This is exactly what I was referring to in that post.

This guy fried his own butt by lies / exaggerations of truth.

JMHO

http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_48dc8c0a-ec5a-5939-bf4b-b02c6a8224a9.html

Attorney Michael J. Hansen of the Federal Public Defender's Office argued for probation.

"What I believe that everyone's failed to appreciate is that Mr. Douglass did suffer a mental illness when he came back from Iraq that he didn't have before he went," he said.

Hansen said medical records make clear that his client suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. Once his claim was denied, Douglass made up lies, which was wrong, and he will be punished by the court and by the military, he said.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This wouldn't have anything to do with the liberalized laws for PTSD? Or the new requirements? It is a Doubled edge sword in my opinion. With the lax laws if the vet says henwas in fear if hostile or life and they va can

Place his uniting one if the areas then the person has a chance regardless if MOS. It helps some but opens the flood gates to a bunch of BS ones too. Kind of reminds me of the old saying, " be careful what you wish for.". We as veterans wanted the govt to lighten the standards and then crap like this happens. In a way we kind o brought it on ourselves. Jmho

Edited by T8r

• HadIt.com Elder

Making up stuff is usually caught and if they catch you in a lie you will never have any credibility. Although we do give general advise about what not to do we don't want you to think lying is ok.

Example is not to dress up when you go to a C&P and when asked how you are tell them how you feel most of the time not cause you are glad that something is finally moving on your claim.

Actually PTSD is something that happens from trauma and combat is only one of many things that can cause it. Trust me there are PTSD claims coming out of 911. Recently there was a crash at an air show that killed a lot of people and I am pretty sure that some of the survivors will develop PTSD.

I also think that this guy may really have PTSD he just really made a mess of it.

When you are fighting to win your claim the VA is not your friend.

I also think that this guy may really have PTSD he just really made a mess of it.

Pete,

I do not doubt for one second that this vet has PTSD and it is related to his active duty, as the article states.

I think the problems started for him with a VA denial - then he either exaggerated or lied about something

to make the claim appear stronger - and that's where he really started problems for himself.

I agree with you too that if they ever bust you in a non truth - you are labeled for life and will have no credibility.

• 1 month later...

I fell down a flight of stairs and I think I have it. I tested positive on every PTSD test the VA gives, but was denied. Falling down stairs isn't a stressor. Living in a hospital isn't a stressor. Being told you need to cut off your leg isn't a stressor. Life goes on.

Another problem when you talk to medical officials they don't always write down what you tell them. Mom goes to my appointments now, and I am getting a tape recorder, because sometimes some weird things go into the medical file or get left out. PTSD is subjective --not that its existence is subjective but whether the VA will compensate you for it or if it occurred according to their liking--

you may get told you have PTSD lite or you may be told its all in your head and we just don't care.