VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Undiagnosed Illness

Rate this question

JT24usn

Question

I have been having low readings in my labs for red blood cell count. They, the va, say that I'm anemic. Problem is, I also have a lot of iron in my liver. How can I be anemic and have high iron count? Doctors say I have low iron in my blood circulating, but the red blood cells that go through the liver are breaking down and storing the iron...AKA they don't seem to know? They thought my liver was NAFLD, but live biopsy came back normal, just loaded with iron. Then they did a genetic test for hemachromatosis, negative. So in the mean time, they are doing phlebotomies while the Drs try and figure my liver out. Now the problem is I keep passing out or get shaky seety and nauseous after the draw. So, my question is they don't know sounds like possible undiagnosed. Circulatory is one of the new issues. I was in Bahrain and je bel Ali for four and half mos. Talked to other guys who were over there and they too have high iron inliver. Just some thoughts. Also my ALT readings are twice my AST ( liver readings). Both are high

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Great news!!!!...Was your C&P examiner a hematologist? What did he/she say to make him believe it was SC? I've been looking for a reason to connect mine to the service for years, so anything he said to you could very well help me. Are you still getting the phlebotomies?

As far as any BVA claims go for Hemo..... there's only a couple I found, and none was for secondary to surgery, that I remember. The only one I found that was granted SC was for aggravation to an injury. Didn't mention anything of surgery. I'll keep searching using different wordings and see what I come up with. I'll defiantly let you know what I find.

What kind of surgeries and digestive problems did you have?

On an earlier post you mention that you seen a Hematologist for it. Was he a civilian doc or VA?

It would help you greatly if he/she could back up the examiners findings with an IMO?IME..

KEEP IN MIND...for claim purposes, you have to some extent, liver damage.

Please keep me updated.

Coot

Cooter,

The C&P guy was not a hematologist. He did say that he feels it is service related. The question now he said whether it is directly related or secondary to my sc stomach. He again the said orregardless it is service cnnectable. I called about my C&p and they mailed them today. I will tell you exactly what he said in two days.

I have been moved from phlebotomies once a month to every two months. Got my iron down to 143.

I wll keep my hematologist IMO in my back pocket t I see the exam. I showed him (TheC&p doctor) my hematologists notes where all my hemoglobinopaty (genetic) were negative and my ANA were negative.

I will definitely keep you posted. Thanks again for any help. Hope in the ling run this will help you.

Edited by T8r