VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Old Or New Ptsd Rule

Rate this question

Papa

Question

I do know that when I did my first C&P for PTSD, I was under the old rule. But, last Oct 2010, the VA decided that I needed to be retested, so would I be under the new rule for PTSD? I'm still waiting a ruling for the second C&P. I personally do not believe that the VA is interested in non-combat PTSD, only combat PTSD. Unfortunately, I have both.

Papa

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Roberson

You are making a circular argument and discussing "original intent" of the law. Just tell me what the orginal intent of the new PTSD rules are? If you want to challange everyone one who knows something about this rule then defend your position. Don't run away. When you argue with people who have been studying this stuff for years you need to expect some opposition. The idea here is to get PTSD claims accepted. Are you SC for PTSD under knew rules?

Not to further argue this point but:

"as the VA itself recognizes in routinely accepting private medical opinions assessing PTSD in veterans when the in-service stressor has been established."

I think the keys words here are the fact that the stressor has been "established."

A private MH doctor cannot 'establish 'that a stressor occurred only that the PTSD is more than likely due to an inservice event-establishing a stressor is when the VA verifies a stressor.

Unless the private doctor served with the vet and witnessed the actual stressor themselves.

It could happen- my husband's initial diagnosis and confirmation of his stressor came from the Director of the Newark VA who was familiar with the USMC unit he was in and also the national news he recalled reading due to this terrible event.

He had gone to the VA that day for a business loan and came out with PTSD diagnosis and confirmed stressor due to an unfortunate event and a flashback.No loan- just copy of the 526 form.They started his claim the very same day.

I think in 1992 they also verified some of his other stressors too via JSRRC.

Our former PTSD psychiatrist at the local VAMC also served in Vietnam but I dont know if he ever treated any vet whose stressor he could confirm himself but it is possible.

If a vet cannot prove their stressor not even Sigmund Freud's IMO could help them (in my opinion).

sorry I still disagree with you and I think I talked to Rich Cohen before I even did the article for Watchdog but in any event-

Here is the NOVA Petition:

http://www.vetadvocates.com/PTSDRuleChallenge.pdf

And no here really wants confrontation- but we all need accurate info.

Better yet here is Rich Cohen's email addy:

rich2wvajustice.com

His last response to me was:

"Berta:

As you know, NOVA was the first group to challenge the new PTSD regulations. Thereafter PVA and Veterans of Modern Warfare and NVLSP filed regulation challenges. The two other challenges have been consolidated with NOVA's rule challenge. See the attached notice of consolidated caption.

Rich"

and stuff was attached

(Rich Cohen- NOVA)

The other orgs as well could be emailed for their explanation of the NOVA petition.

Please let us know what he says as to the point you are making.