VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help W/misc. Questions

Rate this topic

gineric12

I was wondering if someone has any helpful info on the following topics:

First, I am being considered for a med. board and medical retirement/seperation and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was helpful or even possible to provide the military doctor with supporting documentation from civilian doctors that could possibly help my case and get me a larger percentage. Specifically, my surgeon who is going to start the process is an ortho guy who will speak to the strutural issues (following 2 back surgeries), but I have a civilian neurosurgeon who has documented permanent nerve damaage in one of my legs. I want to ensure this gets looked at by the decision makers who will determine how much disability I receive, but don't know how this works.

Secondly, on a more selfish note, I attend physical therapy (hydrotherapy) at a civilian clinic in a warm water pool. I have heard that if I could get the doctor to sign off on it (which wouldn't be a problem), I could get the gov't. (VA or Tricare) to pay for me to have a hot tub installed in my permanent residence. It seems like it would be advantageous to the gov't. considering I just received a statement which reads that they are paying $233.44 per session for me to go. I get my sessions approved in blocks of 12, and have been going for a long time, so the hot tub would have already been paid for probably several times over.

Does anyone know what the process is or have a similar experience that might help?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder
I was wondering if someone has any helpful info on the following topics:

First, I am being considered for a med. board and medical retirement/seperation and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was helpful or even possible to provide the military doctor with supporting documentation from civilian doctors that could possibly help my case and get me a larger percentage. Specifically, my surgeon who is going to start the process is an ortho guy who will speak to the strutural issues (following 2 back surgeries), but I have a civilian neurosurgeon who has documented permanent nerve damaage in one of my legs. I want to ensure this gets looked at by the decision makers who will determine how much disability I receive, but don't know how this works.

Secondly, on a more selfish note, I attend physical therapy (hydrotherapy) at a civilian clinic in a warm water pool. I have heard that if I could get the doctor to sign off on it (which wouldn't be a problem), I could get the gov't. (VA or Tricare) to pay for me to have a hot tub installed in my permanent residence. It seems like it would be advantageous to the gov't. considering I just received a statement which reads that they are paying $233.44 per session for me to go. I get my sessions approved in blocks of 12, and have been going for a long time, so the hot tub would have already been paid for probably several times over.

Does anyone know what the process is or have a similar experience that might help?

To address the first question: Yes, definately make your civvie doctor's medical opinion part of your service medical record. Sign a "release of information" form to the doctor's office, asking for a copy of your medical record. Send the evidence to your military medical board. The military will probably send off for their own official copy and ask you to sign yet another release form.

The second question is harder . . . but it never hurts to ask and get the ball rolling! Ask your doctor to sign your request and forward that to the office that's paying your therapy bills. Keep a copy of everything (everything) for your own records at home!

Good luck with everything! I don't know much about MEB/PEB, but do suggest you talk with an attorney before you sign any papers!

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Title 10, U.S.C., chapter 61, provides the Secretaries of the Military Departments with authority to retire or separate members when the Secretary finds that they are unfit to perform their military duties because of physical disability. DoD Directive 1332.18, SEPARATION OR RETIREMENT FOR PHYSICAL DISABILITY, DoD Instruction 1332.38, PHYSICAL DISABILITY EVALUATION, and DoD Instruction 1332.39, APPLICATION OF THE VETERANS ADMINISTRATION SCHEDULE FOR RATING DISABILITIES,

set forth the policies and procedures implementing the statute.

More http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyr...dseparation.htm