VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veteran Elgibility?

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

Hello everyone,

I have found a fellow vet to help. His scenerio is this, he was in the Army National Guard and was injured durring training. His injuries are documented in his medical paperwork. He has never been deployed and he has never been on active duty. He required sugery on his knee and shoulder. His condition is begining to worsen. He is seeing a private doctor that tells him he needs additional surgery. He has been told that he does not qualify for VA benefits since he was not on active duty or deployed. I believe he is recieving false info but I wanted to be sure. He has been denied to be seen at our local VA outpatient clinic for his injuries. So basically I just wondered if he could claim his injuries as thay are permanate. As of right know I am helping him write up his statement to get him in the system.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

From the "Federal Benefits For Veterans" Handbook

Reserve and National Guard Chapter 8:

Disability Benefits

VA pays monthly compensation benefits for disabilities incurred or aggravated during active duty and active duty for training as a result of injury or disease, and for disabilities due to injury, heart attack, or stroke that occurred during inactive duty training. For additional information see Chapter 2, “Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities”.

Edited by Bonzai

Did he have a line of duty done for his knee and shoulder? If it was injured while on active duty there should be a LOD for these issues. He can then apply for service connection, and maybe temp 100% under paragraph 30 for surgery dye to sc condition. The he will be able to be seen for treatment at va medical center

From the "Federal Benefits For Veterans" Handbook

Reserve and National Guard Chapter 8:

Disability Benefits

VA pays monthly compensation benefits for disabilities incurred or aggravated during active duty and active duty for training as a result of injury or disease, and for disabilities due to injury, heart attack, or stroke that occurred during inactive duty training. For additional information see Chapter 2, “Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities”.

The National Guard below to the State. Unless he meets the criteria for active duty or training he has to address his disability through the State.

Thank you for the replys,

The veteran does have a LOD for his shoulder and his knee. I will be meeting with him tomorrow to get things started. We live in Oregon and we are still making calls to determine his elgibility.

Thanks

Pete

Maybe this link will help:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODVA/contact_us.shtml